B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

How to align cams with crank.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 07:56 PM
1st Gear
Default How to align cams with crank.

So I was in the process of changing my timing belt, and I didnt think that audi would attach the crank hub to the crank pulley. Well it pretty much is and it popped off, before I locked the cams........whoops.

The crank didnt move, but the cam gears sure did. I roughly know where they were, but thats about worthless. What do I have to do? Move the crank to TDC and look at the rocker arms? Dammit I shoulda locked that **** first before I did anything!

Old 05-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: How to align cams with crank.

See the lobes on the cam shafts? There are two holes on each cam, one bigger than the other. The big holes are supposed to face towards each other, your gonna need to get the cam lock bar, the bar can only go one way. Once the bar is on, you just re-align the crank with the timing mark and you're good.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:58 PM
1st Gear

Where are the timing marks for the crank, nothing's standing out on the crank serpentine pulley

Old 05-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Site Moderator

You have to put the lower timing belt cover on and place the crank pulley back on to see the timing mark. There is an arrow on the timing belt cover pointing to the notch on the crank pulley. Once you have that lined up, take it off again and use some white out and mark one of the teeth on the crank, and mark a dot on the block right above it so you know if the crank moved on you.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:24 PM
1st Gear

Which notch is it on the pulley? I don't have any of the timing belt covers, they were all busted up in an accident, and I just pulled them all off and threw out. Unless its this plastic disc here. Here's front and back of the pulley too, theres a round notch on the back side, and yellow painted one on the front, they dont line up together. Thanks for the help! Its very much appreciated.
Name:  07-05-08_1418.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  22.5 KBName:  07-05-08_1417.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  11.2 KB
Name:  07-05-08_1416.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  12.0 KB

Old 05-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Site Moderator

WTF? How did you get the crank pulley off? That toothed gear is not supposed to come off the crank shaft!
If you don't have the lower timing belt cover i think your screwed until you buy another one. See that cut out on the left side of that round plastic cover? Thats where the arrow usually points to the notch on the crank pulley. Un-less there is a notch on the top left of that round cover.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:37 PM
1st Gear

Thats what I said when it came off. Loudly. I took out the screws first, but the pulley wouldnt budge. I couldnt tell what was what. So I took the crank bolt off and boing! I figured the gear was held on the crank by more than a puny 1/8 inch long keyway.

I found the arrow on the plastic cover. Which mark do I line it up with on the pulley? Do I have to separate the cog from the pulley?

Old 05-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Site Moderator

There is an etch on the back of the crank pulley that almost touches the arrow, you may have to clean it to see it. I would just leave the cog on the crank pulley, or you can seperate it, it really doesn't matter.
But the cog is what i wanted you to use white out on, that way you can mark a tooth on it and the block to know if the crank shaft rotated when you do the belt.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:08 PM
1st Gear

Great, found it. What can I check to make sure that I'm not 360* off? On a v8, i just stick my finger over the spark plug hole to know im on the compression stroke.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Site Moderator

Take the number one spark plug outand see if the piston is at the top of its stroke. It shouldn't really matter because i believe the number 1 piston will always be at TDC when the timing mark on the crank is lined up. Then again i never messed up like that before.......
Once the crank is lined up, its just a matter of lining up the cams with the cam bar.

Quick Reply: How to align cams with crank.