B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

How to adjust handbrake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 04:08 PM
2nd Gear

You need to screw in C first, which will make alot of slack in the cable. Just follow the instructions word for word and you'll get it, if not then just try playing with the adjuster to see how it moves. If all that fails you might be able to just put everything back together and pull the adjuster apart, I think the first part of the instructions reset the adjuster in case there's no slack in the cable when you start, which doesn't apply to you.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:52 PM
2nd Gear

Ok here is what I have done.

I screwed C in all the way which frees the cable from C. I then pushed the cable all the way into C. Then I unscrewed C until the notch was visible. I then pulled the cable all the way out of C, essentially to the maximum I could. This put the cables in a good position.

Now when I pull the hand brake the cable catches at a good spot and I get full tension until I can't pull it anymore, seems good right...wrong.

Now that I have full tension the brake callipers are still not compressing. I watch the spring at the calliper and there is some movement but I guess not enough to pinch the rotor. The cable is as far as I can set it and the pads are relatively new, how do I make the calliper get more movement? Is there a setting on the calliper spring that I need to move?

Note: The last set of pads went all the way to metal on metal so it may be pretty out of wack.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Old 03-26-2011, 06:50 PM
2nd Gear

I just figured out the problem. The spring mechanism on the caliper is so rusted that it got locked in a 95% closed position so when I am pulling on the cable it's not really moving at all. I loosened the cable and manually opened up the mechanism, relocked the cable then pulled the ebrake it worked like a charm. The problem is that the springs only reopens about 40% of the way. I am going to have to take the calliper off and clean and grease the spring mechanism for the hand brake to keep working. I'll do that tomorrow. Thanks everybody for the help.

I will probably take some pictures of this and make a little diy for other people.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:04 AM
1st Gear

I am having a similar problem, but I went out to start my car this morning and I started to back up and I felt the car jerk, and I reached down to check if my handbrake was up and it was fully released, but the cable is stuck and wont release. any suggestions on how to get my cable to release? and also if you loosen the nuts on the second cable, you have to adjust the other cable the same, or else one wheel will lock faster than the other.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:15 AM
1st Gear

I know that underneath the car, there is a spot directly below the handbrake called the equalizer, im almost positive the audi tt's have them, its where the cables split off and go to each wheel, there should be a nut that is threaded onto a bolt, you could try turning it and then applying your handbrake and see If it makes any difference.

Also I am having trouble getting my handbrake cable to release, even though I release my handbrake all the way, the cable sticks and is still applied, and when I pull the handbrake the first 3-5 clicks there is NO tension, but after about 5-7 clicks, there is a lot of tension. Any suggestions on how to get the cable to release?