B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

HOW TO: 2.8 Oil Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 12:39 PM
1st Gear
Default HOW TO: 2.8 Oil Pressure Gauge

Thought I would share this with everyone interesting in installing an aftermarket Oil Pressure gauge into their b5. I know sludge is an issue with the 1.8t and with the high miles on my 12v I wanted to be able to monitor it a bit more closely.

For starters, your stock sender does not produce a vairable pressure output. Think of it as an "on/off" switch that lights up the idiot light when the pressure falls below a predetermined point. That means that you cannot tap into any existing wiring to get a signal line for your aftermarket gauge.

If you want to install an aftermarketpressure gauge you'll need to use the supplied sender that comes with the gauge... but there are a few thing to get this done. For starters, unplugging and not reinstalling the stock sensor will leave the light on at all times on your dash... With an ABS, Brake, and intermittant Check Engine light I don't need any more dash grafitti, so I looked for an option that allows me to install both the stock sensor and came up an oil sender relocation kitfrom http://www.42draftdesigns.com/.

BEFORE YOU BUY ONE: check to see the thread pitch on your aftermarket sender. Yourengine block is threaded with an m10x1, your stock sender is an m10x1, but what is your aftermarket sender? If it's a VDO gauge it's an m10x1 most likely. If you have an Autometer part then it's a1/8" NPT fitting. Double check it and order accordingly. It will keep you from chasing parts later on.

For install of an aftermarket M10x1 sender (VDO):
http://www.42draftdesigns.com/catego...ocationkit.htm

For install of an aftermarket 1/8" NPT sender (Autometer):
http://www.42draftdesigns.com/catego...ocationkit.htm

Here is a link to 42 draft design's install instructions. They're pretty quality: http://www.42draftdesigns.com/instal...nKit_VWM10.pdf

On the 2.8 engine the Stock oil pressure sender is located above the oil cooler by the oil filter. It is front facing so in order to clearly access it you'll need to remove the front bumper of your car, the AC cooler, and the radiator. There are write-ups all over for that. Look up the APR snub mount install guide. Once you've got that done remove the 4 hex head bolts on the fan, and you've got a clear look at the oil pressure sender. It has a single wire lead coming off of it, the Bentley says white and mine was indeed a white wire.

Remove the wire and solder on an extension of around 36". Remember we have to reconnect the factory sender so we'll need to extend the line to reach its new location. Install the 42 draft designs extension line into the former location of the stock oil sender. Remember to use thread sealant on all of these connection to eliminate oil leaks. Install the factory sender into the 42 draft designs block, and the aftermarket sender, and then find an out of the way location for the block to be mounted.I also zip tied thesensor wire to the hose to ensure it doesn’t get caught up in either the serpentine OR the fan... both are extremely near by.

Using a multimeter I ensured that the sensor was getting a good ground still, which it was so I did not install the ground lead that was supplied with the 42 draft block. If you are not getting CLEAR continuity between the body of the sensor and the negative post of your battery, then use the grounding lead to a good clean ground point. Connect the extended lead to the stock oil sensor, and the lead from your aftermarket sender to your new gauge.

Double check all your work, reassemble the front end, and enjoy your new gauge!

Ryan

Old 06-30-2008, 11:31 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: HOW TO: 2.8 Oil Pressure Gauge

Ryan,

Nice write-up, I think I'm ordering one of these tomorrow with the noise I cannot track down with mine.

Let me add that the 30V 2.8 has the sensor on the back (rear) of the location as you describe it. Essentially, above and to the center of the car from the oil filter, or (in other words) directly below the air conditioning compressor; directly accessible (sorta) once the splash pan (oil catcher ) is removed. My 2000 is a white wire, supposedly with a stripe, and if someone wants to get under there and clean it, we can confirm the stripe color. I can see white, but not the stripe (single wire, same as yours).

Old 06-30-2008, 11:46 PM
Administrator
Default RE: HOW TO: 2.8 Oil Pressure Gauge

Very nicely done. I hate having an oil temp gauge but only a pressure idiot light and I've wanted to do an oil pressure gauge on my 99 30v. I appreciate the info on this from both of you and hopefully will be doing this during the course of the summer.