B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Hose going to headlight washers

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 06:12 PM
2nd Gear
Default Hose going to headlight washers

I have a thick hose that goes to one of the headlight washers and tees off into another hose that goes across the bumper to what I assume is the other headlight washer. The end of this hose has a sort of nipple and rubber washer on it and isn't connected to anything, there also seems to be some sort of connection near the middle of the washer tank facing upwards, with a 1-way valve because washer fluid doesn't leak out even if the level is above it. Here's a picture of the hose:
Name:  iHg18l.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  44.6 KB

It seems like it goes into the tank at the spot I described but I can't seem to make it reach. Is this where it goes or does it go somewhere else? I looked through ETKA illustrations but I can't make any sense of them. What's the point of this hose anyway? It seems like the inner diameter of it is too large to be anything but a drain hose of some sort.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:20 PM
2nd Gear

if i understand correctly, you're referring to the hose, from behind the driver side headlight washer?

if so, that hose goes down just in front of the driver side wheel well, like straight down. i believe its connected to something down there, reason being, when i bought my car it was disconnected up top.

i reconnected it and later it disconnected itself, for me to find out the plug was missing a clip(this is up near the headlight). however, the hose stayed put still sticking up so i think it has to be stationary.

now my car is a 2000 1.8t (ATW) and the washer hoses/setups have been changed like 3 or so time through the B5 model.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:23 PM
2nd Gear

Mine's a '99.5 AHA if that helps, when I got the car the hose was ziptied to the bumper facing down so I figured that can't be right.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:30 PM
2nd Gear

i dotn know enough about the setups nor have i been able to pull it apart properly. i actually squeezed my underneath the car removed the scrape guard/belly pan and reached up there and felt my disconnection.

now if this helps, mine was very easy to access, i just didn't have my car jacked up and did this in the middle of a culdasac. id recommend removing the belly pan, and inner fender, will take you 15mins tops. you should be able to figure it out form there.

i believe that's where the washer connect to a pump and/or reservoir.

now to see if that needs to be connected, add some fluid to the reservoir, turn on ur headlights and hold down the sprayer button, see if they pop up and spray. if not, it prolly has to be connected.
come to think of it im positive it does, mind didn't spray without that hose connected, but DID pop up.
and u have a 99.5 which i believe is the face lift so id assume you have the same/similar setup.

sorry, i think as i type..lol

Old 01-10-2011, 06:33 PM
2nd Gear

oh hey i was looking at the picture again, is the end of that hose metal? mine was plastic.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:43 PM
2nd Gear

No it's plastic, that silver is just some overspray on the rubber washer. So where does it connect to?

Old 01-10-2011, 09:02 PM
2nd Gear

im not sure, i didn't have to reach down.
if u take off the inner wheel well protector(the plastic cover or w/e) and/or belly pan underneath, u should see something cuz the reservoir is a really funky shape and goes all the way down there.

again, idk if its the pump, or the reservoir itself but there's gotta be soemthing.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:11 PM
2nd Gear

I took all that stuff off when I did my timing belt (which is when I noticed this hose) and I couldn't find anywhere to plug the hose into apart from the spot i described, at the bottom is just the pump. The spot I'm talking about is around the vertical level of the coolant level sensor or whatever that thing is.

EDIT: I can't believe I did a timing belt and water pump replacement with no problems and took apart the front suspension 3 times already but I'm getting outwitted by a hose.

Last edited by Mad Cow; 01-11-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:49 PM
2nd Gear

Bump, I still haven't figured this out.