B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Horrible Grinding From Rear Wheel, Help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by anmagro
PLEASE post up those pics if you can
ok. well i havent had a chance to do a write up yet, but if you want to see the raw pictures they are on photobucket.
http://s426.photobucket.com/albums/p...ncoman75/AUDI/
i also couldnt get very good pictures of me pressing it apart because i didnt have enough hands, but if there is enough interest i will try to put together a diy

Old 01-07-2009, 04:25 PM

DO IT!!
if its easy enought i might just do it myself lol but then again i also need the tools

Old 01-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Site Moderator

If your rotors/pads need replaced do that and see how it is. It could easily be the pad rubbing the corroded and warped rotor. It could also be a bearing for sure. But I wouldn't suspect that as much unless the sound changes (gets louder/quiter) on turns or whenever the weight of the car shifts. A bad rear pass. side wheel bearing would get louder on left turns and quiter on right turns. Er maybe it's already been mentioned, but jack it up and spin the wheel. Does it spin freely-ish? Does it drag? Can you pinpoint the noise better while spinning the hub with the wheel off in front of your face?

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 01-07-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:10 AM
1st Gear

brakes or bearings, do it yourself. Except when I did mine I took the arms to a friend's garage and he pressed them out for me. I think the bearings by themselves for less than $40 a piece is a good deal. =$160 plus paying someone to do the pressing + ~$80 (unless you know a guy) = $240 ish for all four and it might take you all day.
good luck.

have you even jacked up the car to check if it is a wheel bearing?

Old 01-08-2009, 10:32 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Write Up

Hey, there is a pretty good write up for the front bearing on AudiDIY. I don't think it would be too much different. Especially pulling the bearing, and getting new one pressed. Take a look...

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel47.shtml

Old 01-08-2009, 01:53 PM
1st Gear

some thing is happening to me! The only way to describe it is that it sounds like i am riding around on the driver side rear RIM. Bringing it in tomorrow and grabbing my ankles

Old 01-08-2009, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by jeffha4
Hey, there is a pretty good write up for the front bearing on AudiDIY. I don't think it would be too much different. Especially pulling the bearing, and getting new one pressed. Take a look...

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel47.shtml
yeah, that is a decent write up for doing the front, but i went and rented one of those "hubmaster" tyep puller kits from the local parts store, and i couldnt figure out how the hell he used it to pull the hub or anything else, maybe the one he has is different, but the one i got from the checkers down the street (tool kit #27 i believe) was of no use whatsoever. i think it works for most cars, but of course audi has to be different, the issue is that the hub gets in the way of any of the adapters that were in the kit for pulling the hub/bearing with it attached to the car. I suppose the tool might work fine on a honda, but it just didnt work for the audi.

also something people keep suggesting to check the brakes, but typically brakes worn to the warning tab make more of a squealing noise, if you have a noise thats more of a hum/rumble/damn cement mixer/jet taking off right behind you its definately your wheel bearings.
if you jack up the car and wiggle the wheel back and forth thats a pretty good way to verify. Its for sure easy to tell once you get the caliper of and the brake rotor off, as the hub (at least on mine) will be wiggling all over.
also if you push on the brakes while you are driving around, it might vary the sound if the source of the noise is the brakes, but it wont change the sound if its the bearings.