B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Horrible Grinding From Rear Wheel, Help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 04:22 PM
1st Gear

Theres no way im letting such a small thing get to $500 fugin dollers. Im a college student with no money and plans for a fugin G2. Are you doing this job soon too? maby we can set up something where we lend the tool to one another. idk. we need some one to chime in on what exactly we need to do this freakin thing.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:22 PM
1st Gear

Not sure about Audis as I am new to them myself, but on all of my other cars were equipped with brake pad wear indicators. This was essentially a metal piece that would scrape on the rotor to indicate that the pads were in need of replacement. This setup has the same things happen when the pads are worn enough. But like I said, I know my Audi is equipped with the warning light on the dash, but not sure if they still have these or not. Just a thought... Good luck!

Old 01-06-2009, 04:26 PM
1st Gear

okay from the TINY pic from the last link...i an 85% sure that that one is simply a 'wheel bearing taken apart. i guess for a wheel bearing rebuild?...maby if u dont have a puller? i dont know. im waitin on that chime.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:53 PM

yup, same problem here, i get that grinding sound. usually starts in the low 30s (gets the worst at ~40) and starts going away at about 65 or 70mph. im almost sure its the wheel bearing. my brake pads also need to be replaced but I dont think thats it.
am also a broke college student....

Old 01-06-2009, 05:06 PM
SoCal Crew Member

I just read in a couple of other threads that a few guys have used the wheel bearing kit from ECS tuning successfully and it shows one wheel bearing:

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...egory=Bearings

That's one of the cheapest I've found and ECS is reputable, so I'll be buying from them in a min.

As far as sharing tools... we're kind of on opposite coasts, and you can't really share a press. They're not exactly portable.

I'm just going to have a machine shop press it out for me. I've read that it can be done for 15-30 bucks. 80 bucks total (50 for parts) is not that bad. Hopefully you college students can afford to keep your cars running at these prices.

DIY here, btw: http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel47.shtml

Old 01-06-2009, 05:18 PM
SoCal Crew Member

FYI: ECS is running a special on 2nd day air for 17 bucks right now...

Old 01-06-2009, 06:07 PM

lol i think im just gonna take it to a shop

Old 01-06-2009, 08:32 PM

ok, i just did the rear wheel bearings on my car, I think that picture with an inner and outer bearing is for a FWD car, the quattros use the one piece unit.

it wasnt that tough of a job removing the spindles/bearing carrier from the car, but it was kind of a bitch pressing the bearings out and off of the hub with a harbor freight press, installing the new ones was pretty ease, but i would say its probably worth it taking them into a shop and having them press the old bearings out and the new ones in.
i took a bunch of pictures if anyone is interested

Old 01-06-2009, 09:38 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Broncoman75
it wasnt that tough of a job removing the spindles/bearing carrier from the car, but it was kind of a bitch pressing the bearings out and off of the hub with a harbor freight press, installing the new ones was pretty ease, but i would say its probably worth it taking them into a shop and having them press the old bearings out and the new ones in.
i took a bunch of pictures if anyone is interested
I had the same thing. It was kind of goofy getting it out but it went right in. I used a light coat of grease around the bearing to help it slide smoothly. There was something tricky about the ebrake i thought though that i didn't do at first and had to partially reassemble to take something off. This was sooo long ago I don't even remember.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:41 AM
1st Gear

PLEASE post up those pics if you can

Quick Reply: Horrible Grinding From Rear Wheel, Help.