B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

honda vs AUDi?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:36 AM
1st Gear

So when someone says Honda we jump to assumptions of the "Civic" and "ricers".

1994 Acura Legend, 3.2l
2 years of hard beating on the AT, WRECKED 3 TIMES! why did I buy an Audi? the brushless fan motor went out so I had no heat, now my AUDI has a bad TCM leaving me with no car basically. glade I kept her,

EDIT: damnit thinking back I should have spent the $40 for the motor and ripped up the dash

Last edited by foxracing4500; 02-16-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Administrator

I have no hate for the JSpec cars. Huge Nissan fan after owning my 300ZX for just under 10 years. Hondas are good cars, and a great starting point for a legitimately fast car.

Oh and I love our Odyssey EX-L, fantastic car. But I love my A4 more.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:10 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

I've owned several Japanese vehicles, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Honda, Subie, Nissan...never realized how poorly I fit into most of them until I got into the Nissan Murano. The Murano was the first Japanese vehicle where I actually felt "comfortable" in the seats and didn't have to put the seat all the way back for a comfortable pedal reach. I'm not a huge guy (6'1" 220 lbs, donut spare) I feel like I just "fit" better in my A6.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:12 AM
2nd Gear

I've owned three:

1977 Honda Accord - The thing was a rust bucket, but I picked it up for $600 while in college in 1987(yeah, I'm geezerish). That car had the best heater out of any other car I've ever owned, including the A4.

1985 Honda CRX - Awesome little two seater that my Dad gifted to me when he "upgraded" to a Chevy, lol. The thing got about 42 mpg and was fun to drive. She gave her life in order that I should live in 1994, when I got broad sided by a semi-trailer in her during a blizzard. I survived with a seriously fractured left forearm and bruised left torso. My Dad told me the next day in the hospital that he went and saw the car, and it was about a foot narrower!

2002 Honda Odyssey - Big, beautiful, safe, nice 3.5L engine, auto-sliding doors on both sides. The perfect family vehicle. Not sexy, though. The ex-wife got it in the divorce settlement, alas.

One thing that really irked me about Honda is the crappy stock stereos that they put in them straight from the factory.

Until I got Brunnhilde I was a total Honda lover, but I'm never going back. It's Audi all the way!

Administrator

Its not as simple as saying Audi > Honda or Honda > Audi. You're comparing apples and oranges here, and so you've gotta qualify your argument either way with something right? You can't compare a 4 door, mid sized, entry-level luxury sedan to a Honda Civic or CRX and use that comparison as a basis for saying "hondas are ****." Here's my $.02:

For starters lets talk price. Generally speaking, you're going to be able to get a newer Honda with fewer miles for the same price or less than a B5. Hondas cost less to make, sold for less when they were brand new, and were available with fewer features and options.

How about aftermarket parts? Honda wins hands down. Dudes have been tuning Hondas WAY longer than B5's, so there are way more parts available, and they're cheaper. Tuning? I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure there is software available to the public that allows you to write your own tunes. Thats unheardof for B5's. The down side to this is that since parts are so readily available and cheap, every derp with $1000 and a driver's license can build himself a fast(sounding) Honda. Based solely on the volume of cars and guys tuning the cars, you're going to have people with poor taste modding their cars. That said, it is THEIR car. I think body kits, altezza tail lights, and big aluminum wings on a car that runs the 1/4 in 15 seconds is dumb. But then again those guys would counter that argument by saying I drive a station wagon, so to each his own

Fit and finish? Audi wins. /paragraph.

Reliablity. You can get away with 15k oil change intervals on conventional oil in a Honda. Try that with a B5 and you'll have a $5k 3000lb lawn ornament in no time. B5's cost more to maintain, but you get what you pay for.

Styling? A 10 year old Honda looks like a 15 year old Honda. A 10 year old B5 looks brand new

Sorry for the rant, but I hate it when people bash import tuners just because they happen to drive a car that, at one time in it's life, was more expensive.

1st Gear

Originally Posted by erasmmuss
one word LOWJACK
Low jack is a joke. by the time you wake up and report your car stolen, your motor is already installed in another car. Also not to many people know how low jack actual works once activated.

Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs
Thats simply not true. Well, the lighter part may be, but the faster isnt lol.
i do believe faster. im new to audi/vw, but have been in the car lifestyle for awhile and i dont know of many audi/vw that are competitive

Also far from the truth. I believe their are a few old guys who might remember.
Well as far back as i can remember the "street import car sceane" started in the early 90's with a swapped honda civic. i could be wrong though.

Originally Posted by sb301
Sohcvtec1995.... you were like me than... lol "why you walking around with a steerin wheel"
lol yea that was the next step but i was like damn this is nuts.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by Sohcvtec1995
Well as far back as i can remember the "street import car sceane" started in the early 90's with a swapped honda civic. i could be wrong though.
Ok, you quoted part of me and part or someone else it looks like... but Id have to say that Datsun, Toyota, Mazda were just a bit before the Civic calling
Ever heard of a 280z, Supra, RX7? Guess not...
And I didnt know we were talking about "import scene"... I was originally referring to way back in the 30's when people started modding cars... Oh and a "civic" was a responsibilty back then, not a car from an island we were about to destroy

Old 02-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by Sohcvtec1995
Low jack is a joke. by the time you wake up and report your car stolen, your motor is already installed in another car. Also not to many people know how low jack actual works once activated.

lol yea that was the next step but i was like damn this is nuts.
they have been moding and racing cars since cars were made.... you make blanket statements and need to quit posting in this thread

the "street import scene" as you call it is just a marketing ply from a magazine company that started with american muscle cars

i mean the guys that own those magazines also own muscle mustangs and fast fords..... those were getting modded before the 90's

Last edited by turbo kraut; 02-16-2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: ninja
Old 02-16-2011, 12:36 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs
Ok, you quoted part of me and part or someone else it looks like... but Id have to say that Datsun, Toyota, Mazda were just a bit before the Civic calling
Ever heard of a 280z, Supra, RX7? Guess not...
And I didnt know we were talking about "import scene"... I was originally referring to way back in the 30's when people started modding cars... Oh and a "civic" was a responsibilty back then, not a car from an island we were about to destroy
yes because the average joe can afford a supra. 280z turbos were limited production due to there cost, and rusting issues.Trust me i know about these cars. For 1 im spanish so Mazda is one of those things that i have to know, lol, Supra, i live and work in orlando where titan motorsports is, and know many of the employees on a personal basis,so i have good knowledge of the supra, and as for the z, well im not a nissan fan. Im not talking about people modding cars, i know that they have been doing it since the invention of the wheel, im saying the Import crowd that most of us are in. as for muscle cars, i have a good knowledge of those aswell, (Dad has a 72 charger, and is building a 70 Chevelle)

Originally Posted by turbo kraut
they have been moding and racing cars since cars were made.... you make blanket statements and need to quit posting in this thread

the "street import scene" as you call it is just a marketing ply from a magazine company that started with american muscle cars

i mean the guys that own those magazines also own muscle mustangs and fast fords..... those were getting modded before the 90's
are we talking about mustangs or audi and honda, maybe you shold read befor posting since we are on the giving advise on the Internet trend. we are talking about 2 makers, not all of them, not the model T and how some guy broke the exhaust off and said " by golly i go 7mph now"

Old 02-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Tech Slut

Alright, I agree on a few points of yours, but your statement "honda started it all" just pissed me off a lil. Because in reality, the only thing they started was a low-end tuner market lol. The vast majority of the aftermarket Hondas you come across are slow and suck. They are not "easy" to make really fast and they are primarily FWD, which is arguable, but IMO worthless on most accounts. They have a bad name because of the bad apples, yes, but they did not "start" anything great, nor should they be recognized for such.

Most people that mod Civics, do so because of the cheap cost of buying the car and the vast/cheap aftermarket parts available. Not to mention the low weight of them. I have known many people that had nice clean quick Hondas and I dont bash them at all. But I dont jizz my pants cuz my friend has a clean bubble that runs high 12's lol.

I never brought cost into it, I was solely talking about Import Tuner cars, which doesnt and shouldnt have a value on. The new Skylines are part of the import tuner scene as well as Scions, 2 drastically different cars with hugely different prices and intents, but still part of the "import scene".

Got_A4 said he spent 4500 bucks on buying and modding his Honda with a lil Garrett turbo. That's cool, I like the fact you boosted it, and that it didnt cost you an arm and a leg. My A4 is the fastest street A4 on this forum and it cost me tons of money. My 87 Fox-body dragster cost me around 4200 bucks and is faster than my Audi or Got_A4's Honda... by a LONG SHOT... Everything's got its place

Quick Reply: honda vs AUDi?