B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Hmmmmm...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 02:24 PM
3rd Gear
Default Hmmmmm...

I posted in the Wheel and Tire section but know there is little if any traffic in there so I'll post the link:

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...77#post1181477

I know somethings are too good to be true, but damn I was hoping to escape with just a strip and powder coat......

Old 02-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Administrator

I'm not all that knowledgeable regarding welding in general, let alone welding aluminum wheels, though I have been told that welding aluminum isn't easy. That said, I don't think that crack looks all that bad. Do you know anyplace local to you with a decent welder (by "welder" i mean a guy who welds, not the machine itself lol), like a machine shop or some such? I think it'd be at least worth asking about. Seems a shame to waste a deal like that.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:06 PM
1st Gear

hey im sure they can be tig welded up but remember when you weld something your adding heat and heat may warp and distort the existing aluminum. but im sure it can be done but as far as you having your daughter in the car on a regular basis on a repaird wheel its not something i would recommend just for saftys sake.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:07 PM
3rd Gear

I've found several places that repair wheels, even cracked. Need to find one reasonabley close. The fix looks pricey though......cheapest I've seen is $120.....plus the cost of shipping it out. Oh well, if I can fix it, strip them, and re-coat them at a reasonable cost, I believe it'll still be a deal.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:09 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by jjcrt2
hey im sure they can be tig welded up but remember when you weld something your adding heat and heat may warp and distort the existing aluminum. but im sure it can be done but as far as you having your daughter in the car on a regular basis on a repaird wheel its not something i would recommend just for saftys sake.
I agree, I have been comforted by a couple places though who apparently do the work routinely and offer a lifetime guarantee for the work (no pun intended). Still gonna weigh my options.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:15 PM
1st Gear

well best of luck to ya! you still got a pretty good deal though! if you fix em and have em powdercoated im sure you could make a killing over the 100 bucks you paid for em!

Old 02-27-2010, 03:28 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by jjcrt2
well best of luck to ya! you still got a pretty good deal though! if you fix em and have em powdercoated im sure you could make a killing over the 100 bucks you paid for em!
Trouble is still getting them fixed and re-finished. I want to avoid having to sell due to the fact that people are very picky about the type of wheels they buy. That, and the fact that not many people are spending money.....and then selling becomes a problem. I don't want to have to sit on these for very long. They were going to be my spring/summer set-up, if they don't work out, I'll have to find a suitable replacement.