B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

hmm, help with high rev... maybe DV or clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 01:05 PM
2nd Gear
Default hmm, help with high rev... maybe DV or clutch?

hey... i got my speedtuning chip and i am driving aroud and i gun it in 2nd, its great, shift it to 3rd its great until higher rpm's itj ust flings up there a little sooner than i thought it would, but then 4th and EXPECIALLY 5th if i floor it at all the rpm's jsut SHOOOOOT up instantly and the car doesnt really do anything hardly at all. i have a video of what happens (this is the best example, it really happened terrible on this pull)

i dont know if its my stock DV that blew (it wont hold boost at higher RPM's so it just spins with nothing behind it) or if its my clutch or something that cant hold,

but its wierd that it works great in 1st and 2nd gear jsut fine.

i also did a pull at like 30 mph in 5th gear to test if it was my clutch or whatever and the rpms didnt shoot up then like someone told me it would if it was that. let me know thanks guys

Old 10-06-2008, 01:35 PM
2nd Gear

heres another go at the videos.

the first is the best example on how the RPM's jsut jump up with nothing happeneind

The second is of the same thing kinda, just started in 4th gear, jumps up very quickly and in 5th theres like nothign again i dont know how to explain it very well...

this 3rd video is of me starting at i think 35? (in 5th gear) and gunning it to show that it doesnt just jump up then, its gradual still until high speed/rpm

again thanks a lot everyone

Old 10-06-2008, 01:37 PM
3rd Gear

99% sure your clutch is GONE! It's just not slipping when your engine is at lower rpm's and not making any hp. Mine is getting very close to that bad... not looking forward to that cost.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:39 PM
2nd Gear

i dont get why this would just HAPPEN though.... like i NEVER EVER had a problem with this, and now i got it chipped and pretty much instantly after i installed it this was happening

check out the second video, you can see that its fine up until like 4000 or so rpm's then it just flies...

Old 10-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Site Moderator

Clutch. It just happend because you just got +~50hp and tq and your clutch must had been about done before the chip. A stock clutch can handle a chip for a long long time. They are rated around 250hp/tq.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:57 PM
2nd Gear

ok well how long do i have before all my gears go? i will need to atleast drive back to ST cloud (about 2 hours) to get anything accomplished i think. am i fine to drive or will i screw anything up or whats up with that? i can maintain speed no problem its just accelerating heavy i have trouble with...

any suggestions on where i can get a clutch for a good price to have someone install? thanks a lot

i dont think i need anything special, im not planning on doing any further performance mods other than the chip / dv / exhaust i have, i am just going to do exterior mods like lowering and rims/tires so i dont think ill need (and dont want) anything too harsh, i like a smoother ride rather than a jerky ride. and i have NEVER ever dumped my clutch or anything so im surprised it ended like this.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Site Moderator

Your gears are fine. Just baby it until you can get the clutch replaced. The more you slip it, the more likely you'll have to get your flywheel resurffaced/replaced, and the faster it will go. Why would you need to go back to speedtuning? They have nothing to do with it. Like I said, your clutch had to have been about done anyways. Sucks though!

You have more load on the tranny when in a high gear like 5th/4th so it's more likely to slip in those gears.

The clutch and pressure plate (if you go stock) would be around $200. Labor will be at least $500.

Just please don't become bitter about the chip/speedtuning. The chip certainly brought this on sooner, but even if you hadnt gotten it i bet your clutch would be slipping within months anyways.

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 10-06-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:16 PM
2nd Gear

lol no, NOT speedtuning look again i said ST cloud idk why i put ST both in caps but i meant St. Cloud , MN haha (my home town)

anways check these out, will they work or what more do i need?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-05...mZ160287907217

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-05...mZ160287907217

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-05...mZ160289979339

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...mZ120310411080

or what will i all need? / what do you recommend?

thanks a lot, i was assuming it was my clutch but hoping it was something else less expensive / easy so i could do myself or with help / less time consuming (maintenance costs blow)

Old 10-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Site Moderator

Luk is what will be taken out, so if you are wanting to stick with stock, get that, or Sachs is good stuff too. I used Luk when I did my clutch about a month ago. If you are having a shop do it, get the parts yourself (that link for the luk clutch is good) because they will mark up their parts. Although for about $100 more you could get a stage 2 or maybe stage 3 southbend or similar clutch which will be more beefy and last longer. But there are tons of people with a chip who have been on their stock clutch for tens and tens of thousands of miles.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:39 PM
2nd Gear

ok thanks a lot. i am part of the auto club at my college, and we have a bunch of people who like to work on cars and have experience. two have gone throguh UTI so they said they can pretty much do whatever if they have the parts and tools...

we have access to a nice lift here too, would i be able to do this on my own? (with help of them?) or how tough is the process of installing a new clutch?

ALSO

if i went with

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...ayphotohosting

would i need to buy ANYTHING else? or what would i need

Quick Reply: hmm, help with high rev... maybe DV or clutch?