B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

High mileage cars report in!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:17 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by muellercandd
Thanks for the tip but I have done that many times. No big deal though, pulled the core in just over an hour, bought a new one for $60. New one arives in two days and then its back togeather.
You're telling me that it takes you "just over an hour" to completely remove the entire dashboard to swap out the heater core? Hmmm... forgive me for being a skeptic, but all other threads on this (with pics) make it look like it takes a whole lot more time than that. But if you have a "speedy secret" to doing it, then you might as well take pics and share...

Old 12-20-2010, 10:36 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by M3Armand
You're telling me that it takes you "just over an hour" to completely remove the entire dashboard to swap out the heater core? Hmmm... forgive me for being a skeptic, but all other threads on this (with pics) make it look like it takes a whole lot more time than that. But if you have a "speedy secret" to doing it, then you might as well take pics and share...
Well I did have the advantage of not having to remove the steering wheel, just lowered it. My a/c was already drained, I knew were 90% of all the bolts were, and I use a cordless impact to do all my disassemble. Also I did not remove the aluminum support 100% like many people. This allowed me to leave majority of the wiring harness in place. I would be happy to take pics and write a how to as I put it back together. Just over an hour was probably close to 1.5.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:13 PM
1st Gear

170k ... but everything as been change, engine as 90k ( timing belt as been done last summer ), the car as been thru a complete body restoration at the same time the body kit was install + 2 new front fender, complete paint job, I even swap the entire tan enterior for a black one ... I think the tranny is the only part that is 170k old ... but I never had a issue with it and work just like a new one ... only issue I have right now is a air bag light from the passenger side air bag and a check engine light from a bad o2 sensor.

Old 08-14-2020, 02:45 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by muellercandd
Well I did have the advantage of not having to remove the steering wheel, just lowered it. My a/c was already drained, I knew were 90% of all the bolts were, and I use a cordless impact to do all my disassemble. Also I did not remove the aluminum support 100% like many people. This allowed me to leave majority of the wiring harness in place. I would be happy to take pics and write a how to as I put it back together. Just over an hour was probably close to 1.5.
Did you ever do a write-up with pictures on how you did all of this. Need to replace mine but have no desire to spend what appears to be the normal amount of time to do so. Thanks.