B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

High mileage cars report in!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 10:33 PM
1st Gear
Red face High mileage cars report in!

Hello everyone.... I was just driving my wife's car today since my car battery died due to the cold weather. I was thinking that my wife's car, a 2001 A4 1.8TQ, has pretty high mileage. We are at 237k miles at the moment. She bought it new. It's her daily commute car. Mind you, the car runs great with no dings/dents whatsoever and no rust!

So what kinds of mileage do you folks have and what does your car need (on top of what you replaced already)?

Our A4 currently needs:
1) a new cup holder
2) headlight washers don't seem to be working even though I just put a new motor in. Washers pop up, but fluid doesn't come out. It's not blocked since if I press them back down, it sprays washer fluid.
3) right rear caliper started leaking when the parking brake is on (we replaced the left one about 50k miles ago)
4) new instrument center display
5) the front bumper could use a respray

Other than above, it's been great. The engine is solid. I was hoping that it would "die" so that we would be forced to buy a new car. But we did a leakdown test and they all came back within 3% of each other. And this is with a stage 2 APR chip (APR chip at 93 octane, APR exhaust, snub mount) for most of it's life. Engine wise, we only did the normal timing belt/water pump changes, coil pack changes, and valve cover gasket. Nothing else. The radiator is still original. All other fixes were suspension components and brakes.

Nevertheless, I still yearn for an S4 where it has significantly more power AND better gas mileage (26 mpg highway vs. close to 30 mpg "observed" for the S4)! It just doesn't seem fair!!! But then again, our car is 9 years older and we have no car payments...

Old 12-17-2010, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Just a hair under 199k miles. Left exhaust pipe snapped on Monday - hoping to fix that today so I can start driving it again. Only other issue is a sticky ebrake.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:40 PM
2nd Gear

Pre-99 1.8 with 172,000 miles. 3rd owner, received the car at 115k, first owner was supposedly old, the second was a young guy who didnt drive it hard, but didnt take the best care of it, the vac line was leaking for a long time.

Original engine, original turbo, turbo had no shaft play when I went to change the timing belt again at about 140k.

Oil pressure seems to be good.

Front bumper has seen better days, paints chipped off along the lower grills, the whole body is scratched but no rust. Sunroof rattles a little especially when cold, so does the dashboard but a jammed a piece of cloth in there and that took care of it. Parking brake sticks when cold, tear in the driver side seat. Back right tail light leaks, ive even replaced it, it ruined one of my central locking pumps, I have to set the CLP outside the back right of the car cause I cant get the leak to stop.

Entire front suspension has been replaced, cv joints (and I bought a number of this stuff separately, terrible idea, much more expensive). Rear has new springs and bearings. Brakes have been done. Vac line has been done when I first got it.

Transmission had the clutch replaced on the last owner. Seems to be in good shape but I have to double clutch it when cold into 2nd. Clutch pedal looses a little pressure when its really cold, I have to pump it a little (probably need a new master cylinder but I figure Ill see how much longer I can go, this method has worked for 2 years) I am about to get around to swapping out my Mobil 1 gear oil in the tranny for something else since I shouldnt be using GL-5.

Last edited by Dallas09; 12-17-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:03 PM
2nd Gear

1999 Pre-facelift 2.8

Received at 156,000
Currently at (I always get nervous about saying this) 176,6XX

1. Brake Fluid Reservoir has a crack
2. Paint shows it's age in the front
3. 1st gear is missing a tooth, but the others pull hard
4. Clutch slips if I'm having fun
5. Rotors are shot
6. New air bag in a few weeks
7. Sunroof won't close when opened

She drives fine

Old 12-17-2010, 04:04 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Skythe
1999 Pre-facelift 2.8

Received at 156,000
Currently at (I always get nervous about saying this) 176,6XX

1. Brake Fluid Reservoir has a crack
2. Paint shows it's age in the front
3. 1st gear is missing a tooth, but the others pull hard
4. Clutch slips if I'm having fun
5. Rotors are shot
6. New air bag in a few weeks
7. Sunroof won't close when opened

She drives fine
Your sure its the airbag thats bad, its almost always the wiring. My dealer tried to convince me they need to do the whole bag.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:19 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

2 things in this picture shows you what i already need.
Not so much of high milage, especially if you convert km to miles. wow bad pic. its suppose to read 150,000

Attached Thumbnails High mileage cars report in!-12042010006.jpg  
Old 12-17-2010, 04:38 PM
1st Gear

206K miles and still going strong. Picked this beauty up from an older man who owned it since the day it left the showroom floors. I'm now the second owner of this awesome car.

Check engine light is constantly on, meaning emissions problem? or is it just the notorious christmas lighting display lol and speedometer does not work.

Other than that, everything runs perfectly fine. Does need a new cupholder though.

Any ideas how much it would cost to fix my cluster and what's up with my engine light?

Old 12-17-2010, 04:40 PM
1st Gear

Oh, and my first gear makes a weird grinding noise.. but the other gears are fine like the guy mentioned in the top post. Any ideas on what's going on?

Old 12-17-2010, 04:53 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Dallas09
Your sure its the airbag thats bad, its almost always the wiring. My dealer tried to convince me they need to do the whole bag.
Mhmm ...I'm pretty sure there is no bag...

Previous owner seemed to have rear ended someone, probably let the clutch drop. The driver side headlight was replaced, some electrical stuff was broken just behind the light and there's a weird stain on the hood. I knew there were a few issues when I got the car, but I didn't realize the bag had deployed and they didn't replace it.

I'm having a Audi/VW mechanic look at and fix it when I'm home next week (not a dealership)

Old 12-17-2010, 09:24 PM
1st Gear

A4 2.8 96 with 154,5XX miles (Got her with 131k miles on 4-3-08)

New clutch about 10K miles ago.
Rebuilt Steering rack at about 5K miles ago (My fault for putting the wrong fluid in).
Timing belt etc.. A year ago.
New Rear wheel bearing was done 4k miles ago.

Abs module needs to be replaced, calipers get stuck whenever I brake; I have removed the fuse to disable ABS, so I can drive it without any problem, just the lit light is a bit annoying.

Driver's side door window needs some force to close all the way up (no problems when closing).
Power lock doors don't work...

This car has been a pain, mainly my fault for not knowing how to fix little things and making them worse. :|

Regardless of the issues she has, she still drives great !

Quick Reply: High mileage cars report in!