B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

High Clutch Bite Point

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 06:14 AM
1st Gear
Default High Clutch Bite Point

Hi There,

I am a complete Audi Newbie and have a question about a 1996 1.8 A4(118K) I have just bought.

I noticed that the clutch has a pretty high bite point and was wondereing what to expect when i go to a garage e.g. will it simply need adjusted etc.

Cheers,
James.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:58 AM
1st Gear

Hi and welcome, you don't say what engine type you have - 1,8 or 1,8T...

B5's generally bite high-ish, and it's not necessarilly due to wear.
The clutch is hydraulically-operated, there's no adjustment possible.

It helps to state your location too, as there may be members close to you who could have a feel of your clutch pedal, and advice based on their own experiences...

Old 01-23-2009, 08:26 AM
3rd Gear

Siena's right. As far as what to expect well it just depends how high were talking here. If it's like mine your going to need to get a new clutch and most shops will try to make you buy a FW too as many don't know where to get our dual mass FW resurfaced. So if they quote you a clutch and FW I would go and order a Southbend Clutch and w/ that southbend will resurface your FW for free.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the forums! My first suggestion is to read all of onepoint8tee's stickies. They pwn. Second, the high clutch is pretty normal. It took me a while to get used to it as well, but i think once you do you'll find that you like having a lot of clutch travel to play with. GL!

Old 01-23-2009, 12:46 PM

i came from driving a '99 5-speed nissan maxima, and compared to that car my audi clutch at first felt like it engaged really high. however you get used to it. now i freak out when i step on the pedal, i wonder if the pedal is at the same height as when i started driving it. (paranoia)

i like down shifting better with this car though. ask some locals for advice or read the stickies/search

Old 01-24-2009, 01:04 AM

i do that same thing sometimes ill put my foot under it and try and pull it out just in case lol glad im not the only one

Old 01-24-2009, 09:54 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the quick replies and all the information.

I think it is a straight 1.8 no turbo i haven't had much time time to look at all the detail.
The bite poiny is really high, all the way to the top before it bites high!
If this is normal then i will just live with it.

As far as a new clutch goes i don't what an FW is can someone please explain that to me?

Cheers.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:28 AM
1st Gear

fw is flywheel its the big piece of metal rotating on your engine that spins your transmission. While it's not always necessary to resurface it, it's always a good idea and yes there are tons of places that will resurface it for free if you buy the clutch kit from them. I'd also have the shop do the RMS (Rear main seal) while the flywheel's off.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:31 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Jamesy281
Thanks for the quick replies and all the information.

I think it is a straight 1.8 no turbo i haven't had much time time to look at all the detail.
The bite poiny is really high, all the way to the top before it bites high!
If this is normal then i will just live with it.

As far as a new clutch goes i don't what an FW is can someone please explain that to me?

Cheers.
the 1.8 non turbo is only available in Europe so I would assume thats where you are? In the US we only have 1.8t and 2.8 in the A4. If your cruising in 4 or 5th gear and put the pedal to the floor does it slip? If it doesn't slip there is nothing to worry about yet.

Originally Posted by TCossuto
fw is flywheel its the big piece of metal rotating on your engine that spins your transmission. While it's not always necessary to resurface it, it's always a good idea and yes there are tons of places that will resurface it for free if you buy the clutch kit from them. I'd also have the shop do the RMS (Rear main seal) while the flywheel's off.
On top of the rear main i would to the input shaft seal on the transmissions as well. All preventative.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:00 PM
1st Gear

Mine is high too my dad freaked out when he drove it the first time but the guy i bought it from told me it had always been like that and he had it replaced once so there is nothing wrong with it. I personally don't even notice it anymore, the only time i do is after driving my dads Passat TDI.
(original Clutch with 330K miles on it )

Quick Reply: High Clutch Bite Point