B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

High Bias Center Differential Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 09:59 PM
Legal Moderator

The shifting I explained is not meant for performance. It would be meant to save your gears since it will help the gear slide into place with less stress on the synchro. By placing the gear at the correct RPM, the synchro will not have to make up for the difference in speed between the two gears.

Slamming the clutch to the floor while you are already shifting is the complete opposite. It is fine on a healthy transmission, but ours are getting kind of old. Keeping the shafts at the right speed while shifting takes a lot of stress off the synchros, inturn stopping the gears from grinding while shifting

Old 01-15-2014, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
I just found this out recently, but the shims you can buy tend to cause noises and binding when turning sharp at low speeds because they're a one size fits all solution that doesn't take into account different clearances due to wear. There's an online store that rebuilds them using properly size washers, either JHM or 034 I think. There was a recent thread about this probably on audizine if you want to research more.
Advanced Automation is the company you're thinking of.
And not all people have issues with improper tolerances on the "one-size-fits-all" shims... I'm hoping to be one of those people

Originally Posted by GoremanX
It's interesting to hear that shim kits can cause binding and noise. I hadn't heard of that before, and it's exactly the kind of thing I want to avoid.
If you have this professionally done, they will essentially custom-make the necessary shims to match the wear on YOUR center differential, therefore you shouldn't have any issues with the 4:1 differential.