B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Hid Upgrade! :) + coolant leak lol

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 06:13 PM
2nd Gear

That's fairly bad, though not as bad as I expected. You should see no light above the cutoff. Even that RX8 isn't very good.

HIDs can look like they're a different color at different angles, FYI.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:13 PM
1st Gear

Also please remember that i took these with my iphone 3g.

Last edited by djMichaels; 11-07-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:18 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dragonrage
That's fairly bad, though not as bad as I expected. You should see no light above the cutoff. Even that RX8 isn't very good.

HIDs can look like they're a different color at different angles, FYI.
The RX8 is stock HIDs.

Ok, so in order to fix this I would need to just play around with the headlamp adjuster? or did I buy a crap kit?

Thank you. I'm still kinda a newb to this whole owning a nice car thing.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:21 PM
2nd Gear

You did buy a crap kit, to be honest. There are tutorials on some various sites about making your own cutoff but I have never done it so I can't offer much advice.

You shouldn't just lower them because then you will get less visibility yourself. Blinding other drivers is dangerous, but so is not being able to see well enough. And besides, you got HIDs because you wanted to be able to see, right?

Some stock HIDs are better than others. That RX8 isn't that good, but it's certainly not going to be as blinding as your kit.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:26 PM
1st Gear

that sucks, I bought them from hidextra whom is or was a sponsor on this site and I saw no complaints.

And yes I did get hid's because I have crap vision at night. Most of the time I have to pass a street sign to see what it is and turn around. lol

So basicly there is nothing i can do besides get into more modifications of the headlights?

Thank you for the tips.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:35 PM
3rd Gear

You're fine. Must have been the angle or the camera earlier.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:38 PM
3rd Gear

According to dragon you aren't fine. I'll have to look into this further.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:40 PM
2nd Gear

Well, I've given you the information, but I can't force you to do anything. Now is where you weigh your options. Personally, I would try complaining to the company, see if you can get a refund, and do a real retrofit with good projectors like from an E46.

You should see NO light above the cutoff ideally. Obviously this will never be perfectly true, but look at how much the door is lit up above with his compared to the RX8, Nick. Good projectors like in an E46 or TSX will be much better than that RX8, too. It doesn't take much to bother people. Personally, I'm sensitive to it, and I see these cars sometimes and it really makes it hard for me to see, so it really bothers me.

Last edited by dragonrage; 11-07-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:50 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Well, I've given you the information, but I can't force you to do anything. Now is where you weigh your options. Personally, I would try complaining to the company, see if you can get a refund, and do a real retrofit with good projectors like from an E46.

You should see NO light above the cutoff ideally. Obviously this will never be perfectly true, but look at how much the door is lit up above with his compared to the RX8, Nick. Good projectors like in an E46 or TSX will be much better than that RX8, too. It doesn't take much to bother people. Personally, I'm sensitive to it, and I see these cars sometimes and it really makes it hard for me to see, so it really bothers me.

So in order to do this mod properly I would in fact need to buy new housings? These are the stock halogen projector housings that came on the a4. Valero or something to that effect.

So basically to do this proper you need to spend 6-800 to get housings? or should I just look for another kit that costs more ie better quality? I was a bit weary about a 75 dollar kit with 10 dollar discount for being a part of this forum.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:53 PM
3rd Gear

Ohhhh I didn't know they were in stock halogen housings. That makes perfect sense. You do need to get projectors. It throws the light a lot better and doesn't blind others. I was wondering why mine don't look like your aha. You could pick up some depo headlight housings for 250. That's what I did.

Quick Reply: Hid Upgrade! :) + coolant leak lol