B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

HID retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 01:35 AM
1st Gear
Default HID retrofit

anyone try doing an HID retrofit to their headlights instead of buying a whole new housing?

Old 03-15-2008, 08:16 AM
Administrator
Default RE: HID retrofit

First off, welcome to the forums. Secondly, I know you're new here, so I'll go ahead and answer this - yes you can retrofit HIDs to any OEM Audi housing with no problems. My avatar pic (to the left) shows my 6000k HIDs in my OEM non-projector housings (I have since switched to projectors).

I say this because (as you'll see when you spend time here) we get about four HID posts a week from people. Please take the time to read the New Members Guide here, and when looking for info, use the search feature at the top of the page. This'll find you a ton of information, and then you can post threads asking questions for clarification when needed. It helps to do this so that we don't end up flooding the post archives with the same questions over and over again. Like I said, I know you're new here so don't sweat posting the HID question - you wouldn't have known that it's a very common thread topic here. But the search feature will answer many of your questions and keep some of the veterans from jumping on you (it can get tiring to answer the same thing day after day after day after...).

One thing also that will help you in the future - go to your profile page, and create a signature. Include your car's model year, model, engine, transmission, and drivetrain (quattro or FWD) - see below in mine for an example of what I'm talking about. This will help greatly in answering questions later on, when you're asking about more tech-related problems, as there can be a lot of variance between different models/engines/etc on these cars, and that way it saves people having to ask for those details before they can answer the question.

Anyhow, that being said, welcome aboard and you'll love the amount you can learn about your car here. Take a little time to read through the different forums here, especially General Tech and DIY - you'll see that there are a lot of repairs and upgrades you can do yourself with basic tools and even just a little mechanical aptitude. And it's fun here too

Old 03-15-2008, 07:38 PM
1st Gear

thanks

Old 03-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Administrator

No problem man - just trying to save you some grief later on