B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

HID help

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 05:23 PM
4th Gear

emil... didnt u buy an s4 a while back lol... u still havent updated your sig lol

and i never claimed to know a lot about hids... i was giving opinions and info from stuff i have read online... again.. not once did i ever disagree with anyone.. so i never claimed to be right or wrong

Old 02-19-2010, 06:17 PM
2nd Gear

For the record, while the OP has already ordered stuff, my recommendation for anyone else looking to do this is to order parts from http://store.theretrofitsource.com/ and modify your headlights yourself or pay someone to do so. I recommend the FX-R projectors. (For the record again, I am not affiliated with that site whatsoever other than having ordered parts from them myself.)

Old 02-19-2010, 07:11 PM
1st Gear

Hey dragon, have you personally put those in your projectors? on factory housing's or the depo ones? the website says its for a bi-xenon set up.....our cars have seperate hi/low bulbs

Old 02-19-2010, 07:25 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mr. Phil
emil... didnt u buy an s4 a while back lol... u still havent updated your sig lol

and i never claimed to know a lot about hids... i was giving opinions and info from stuff i have read online... again.. not once did i ever disagree with anyone.. so i never claimed to be right or wrong
Phil like i said b4 no offense i wasn't trying to bash you in anyway...

and yeah i got it in october 09 but im never on AF anymore im more on zine now... plus believe it or not but i dont have pix of my s4... one more reason to look forward to annual central NY meet this year

Old 02-19-2010, 07:33 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by kevace1
Hey dragon, have you personally put those in your projectors? on factory housing's or the depo ones? the website says its for a bi-xenon set up.....our cars have seperate hi/low bulbs
Not in an A4. But what I recommend is just putting the high-beam portion of them in parallel with your existing high beams so that the cutoff will go up and you will also still have halogen high beams.

The high beams are already used when flashing, so that wouldn't be an issue either.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:39 PM
3rd Gear

Yes, all bulbs burn at temperature. It's the ballast that provides the power of 55w

And ya'll can't say I didn't tell you so on the DDM kits. Phil just said:

Originally Posted by Mr. Phil
ooh wow sticker price... who gives a ****... and yes if u want some cheap *** **** for 60 bux go for it....... am i saying my kit is superior? hell no... but im just saying u get what u pay for.. if u want something really good, my buddy sells kits all the time, he has some direct from germany kits for like 700 bucks haha

Last edited by euro_2nr; 02-19-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:22 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by kevace1
And, 6000k gives a better lumens out put because it reflects on the road better. As a 4300K set up faints in the air, a 6000K set up widens out more. I have tried this in my car as I have both. This is especially true when it is raining and snowing. I'm talking about real world facts and observation here. Maybe because mine is 55W( yes, both my 4300K and 6000K bulbs are 55W), this holds true, i'm not sure. But it is definitely true in my case.
"6000k gives a better lumens out put", where are you getting this information from? Not are you using the term lumens incorrectly, but that statement is wrong. All other things being equal, a light that has a color temperature of ~4300k will always produce more lumens than a light that has a color temperature of ~6000k.

You may have perceived something some way, but you cannot argue with the physics behind it.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:13 PM
1st Gear

Silly question while I was reading all this. What exactly is a projector?

Nice Chapelle reference in your sig kevace1 btw. lol

Old 02-20-2010, 09:57 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by The_n
Silly question while I was reading all this. What exactly is a projector?

Nice Chapelle reference in your sig kevace1 btw. lol
A projector lens is a lens that the light passes through to direct or change the beam of light. They are found on a lot of new cars and usually look something like this:

http://www.xldhid.com/UploadFiles/2009330153728329.jpg
http://image.hondatuningmagazine.com..._lens_swap.jpg
http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/562387...Lens_Light.jpg