B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

HID help

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 12:55 PM
4th Gear

They said 3-11 days when I ordered it... guess it gets here when it gets here, probably the day after I leave...

Old 02-19-2010, 02:39 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Our stock projectors are H7 which are not well suited for HID, though it will still be better than the old reflector setups.
i thought the stock projectors used d2s bulbs like the s4?

Old 02-19-2010, 02:47 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mr. Phil
i thought the stock projectors used d2s bulbs like the s4?
That's most likely for the stock HIDs which seem to be rare. The halogen projectors that most of us have are H7.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:51 PM
4th Gear

well then why dont people just buy the real projectors instead of replacements if theyre so much better?

Old 02-19-2010, 02:52 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mr. Phil
well then why dont people just buy the real projectors instead of replacements if theyre so much better?
The kits are cheaper and people just don't know or care about what they're missing.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:30 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dragonrage
SO MUCH GLARE. OP, you do NOT want your lights to look like this. Just looking at the picture hurts my eyes! This is why you need proper projectors! Also, you do not get the max output on 6000k. As said before, you get it with about 4300k.

Also, Phil, 8000k bulbs actually ARE illegal. And so are all of your HID kits. It is illegal to put HIDs into a setup not DOT certified for them. It is also illegal to put 8000k bulbs in an OEM HID application, though not nearly as bad. Personally, I don't give a crap about what the law says as long as you do it right and make them safe by NOT blinding other drives like that terrible setup there.
I resent your comment dragon, you have not seen my set-up in person to make mal-nurished comments as you have. The Projectors I have are actually D2S and that is just like factory. As I said in my post, the picture was from a phone camera. At night, my cut off is precise, one a straight line. AS A matter of fact, better than the stock H7's, as the H7's projectors have a sort of "s" in the middle when you get close to a wall. Mine, on the other hand, do not. Mine make more is a ~ shape.

And, 6000k gives a better lumens out put because it reflects on the road better. As a 4300K set up faints in the air, a 6000K set up widens out more. I have tried this in my car as I have both. This is especially true when it is raining and snowing. I'm talking about real world facts and observation here. Maybe because mine is 55W( yes, both my 4300K and 6000K bulbs are 55W), this holds true, i'm not sure. But it is definitely true in my case.

And no, I am not blinding anyone either. If i was to pull up close to a car, my cut-off starts at there rear brake lights on the majority of the cases. I have had many comments actually about my set up form others having HID's them selves.

Last edited by kevace1; 02-19-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:43 PM
2nd Gear

There's obviously still light leakage, because the only reason to see such lens flare from such a high angle otherwise is to way overexpose the picture, which you haven't done or the rest of the picture would be overexposed. If you look at your cutoff on a wall with no other lights on, the wall above your cutoff should be as dark as possible. Ideally there should be no light above it, though reflections from the ground would make that not the case even if your headlights themselves were perfect.

By the way, there are no real 55w HID bulbs. You're just running regular HID bulbs at a higher wattage. It's going to make them last much shorter.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:57 PM
4th Gear

didnt he also say that pic was taken with his phone right after install before he adjusted them?

KEVACE... take a pic tonight sometime NOT using a cell phone and show us the cut off so this figh can cease and desist (or something like that lol)

Old 02-19-2010, 04:49 PM
2nd Gear

OP if you still haven't gotten your HIDS here is few tips from personal experience...
No offence to you phil but from reading what you writing here it makes me think you dont know much about what you talking about...
+1 VVME for the price
+2 DDM for the quality and price. Costumer service is good and you get replacement parts for cheap also if anything ever fails on you.
VVME is good but they use cheap parts. From personal experience, I had 3 ballasts and 2 bulbs replaced in the past year of owning VVME 35w Kit.
Got an S4 and put DDM kit on with 6000k. No problems at all. Even the coldest nights ballast starts right up with no flickering. I haven't noticed any fading in color with time on DDM kit where with VVME i noticed bulbs were dimmer and dimmer with time.
6000k or 8000k? Well personally 6000k is ideal for me because it provides nice white light and great output even in wet road conditions. 8000k IMO is too blue and gives off a lot of reflection on the road when its wet. Also the higher you go the less you will see on the road hint the 4300k bulbs audi came with. If you planning on keeping the car for a while i would suggest spending little more and get 55w slim ballast from DDM in 6000k and not have to worry about it. I will be ordering a kit from them within few weeks now for my foggs in 3000k yello if they are in stock. Anyways good luck to you and hope this will help you deciding on which kit to go with.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:55 PM
4th Gear

Already ordered the 55W kit from vvme yesterday, and when it craps on me, I'll know where to get the right kit from. And I did decide on the 6000k. Thanks for the tip.