B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Hi

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 05:02 AM
1st Gear
Default Hi

Just saying Hello I'm John from Northern Ireland own a 1996 B5 tdi which I'm in the process of adding my touches to. It's by no means a show car but more of a comfortable daily/daddy daycare and carry work bits in.

This is the first Audi I've owned after numerous Vw's and others and love it !

Found the forum by means of a tech search and decided to sign up with tech knowledge that I've found on here is immense

Keep it up guys .. Good work

J

Last edited by AudiB5tdi; 09-08-2013 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 09-08-2013, 06:09 PM
2nd Gear

Hi , you're in one of the lucky countries that got the tdi which I would love to have. Anyways any problems/check engine lights? Some popular aesthetic upgrades for that year are facelift (99.5-2001.5) tail lights and facelift one-piece headlights (I haven't done this yet but I will...then again I've been saying that for awhile), they make a huge difference in the appearance of the automobile. Anyhow welcome to the forum!

Old 09-08-2013, 06:56 PM
1st Gear

Welcome!

I have never owned a diesel, but doesn't every diesel have a turbocharger?

A nice upgrade would be a bigger turbine =)

Old 09-08-2013, 07:49 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Kamil`
Welcome!

I have never owned a diesel, but doesn't every diesel have a turbocharger?

A nice upgrade would be a bigger turbine =)
Not every diesel is turbo but tdi's are turbocharged. While you can put a bigger turbo on them, it would be pretty pointless as they will never get as much power as a comparable gasoline turbo car. They are just slower, but you can smoke people out and get great gas mileage doing it

Old 09-08-2013, 08:05 PM
1st Gear

Diesels might not be that great on horsepower, but they got sweet torque.

I didn't know they actually made diesel motors without turbo for cars. I thought the motor would be too weak at higher rpm's.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by Kamil`
I didn't know they actually made diesel motors without turbo for cars.
theres really no such thing as a non-turbo diesel anymore. the early 90's was when they all went turbo. vw had a couple n/a diesels, as well as the chevy 6.2 and international/ford 7.3. nowadays, the only n/a diesels are small engines. i'm not even sure if bobcat's offer a n/a diesel any more.

there are plenty of n/a diesels still on the road, but as stated they were phased out in the early 90's. now if you really want to get specific, theres no such thing as a n/a 2 stroke diesel. by design, the need forced induction to be aspirated. I don't believe there are any 2 stroke diesels in production any more (for consumer/transport, but I believe for industrial purposes they are still made). as far as I know, any diesel offered by vw or any subsidiary of vw since 96 is turboed, or at least in this part of the world

Old 09-09-2013, 07:14 PM
1st Gear

2001 and newer vehicles are Sdi's ,not bad units tbh reliable but not as powerful as the tdi obviously but economical enough and fit for purpose.

Only real bugbears I have are none remote central locking and a very loud catalytic converter .. Think the interns have made a run for the exit and can't get out lol

Old 09-09-2013, 07:21 PM
2nd Gear

Welcome to the forum, friend.

The first thing we ask of our B5 Brethren, is to post a couple pics of your A4 B5 Lets see her outside and interior, all the good and bad aspects of your B5.