B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Herky-jerky feeling while driving/Tiptronic not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 01:24 PM
1st Gear
Default Herky-jerky feeling while driving/Tiptronic not working

Driving down to visit family a couple hours south on Saturday. Everything drove fine for the first 70 miles but after stopping for coffee, had some issues.

Everything started fine, but car could not detect when it was in "manual". It would switch over to manual mode about 10% of the times I tried it and then I'd have to fight it to get it back in automatic.

At the same time as the tiptronic stopped responding, car started shuddering/jiggling while accelerating. It only seems to occur when the pedal is pressed at a specific angle that maintains the current/active speed. When coasting or actively accelerating, there are no issues. Tires were rotated about 3 days prior to the mini road trip but had no issues until the tip stopped working.

Tiptronic - probably the magnet that trips the switch? transmission issue? Something else?
Acceleration - need alignment? transmission problem? fuel system? Something else?

Can't get the car into the mechanic until later this week and I'm hoping to at least have an idea of the price range that I'm looking at before I walk in there... Anything helps!

Old 10-13-2014, 07:42 AM
1st Gear

is it now idleing rough? hard time accelerating? Rpm jumping around? Look into a " Throttle Body Adaptation " which can only be done with a VAG COM