B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Help noob change water pump! 2.8L 98

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 03:12 PM
1st Gear
Default Help noob change water pump! 2.8L 98

Hi, i just started taking everything apart yesterday, i took everything apart, i took off the fan blade but i cannot unfasten the fan pulley like it says on the guide. That is the last part i need to remove but i am unable to unfasten. Any tricks? anything wrong am i doing?

thanks alot for any help
Samuel

Old 08-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Rotate the pulley slowly while shining a flashlight in through the holes in the face of the pulley. There are a couple hidden Allen bolts behind there that you'll need to remove to take it off. You did index the engine at TDC on cylinder 3 (rear pass side) on the compression stroke first right?

Old 08-31-2010, 11:34 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Rotate the pulley slowly while shining a flashlight in through the holes in the face of the pulley. There are a couple hidden Allen bolts behind there that you'll need to remove to take it off. You did index the engine at TDC on cylinder 3 (rear pass side) on the compression stroke first right?
sorry im new to this, what do u mean index the engine at TDC

Old 09-01-2010, 01:02 AM
1st Gear

You have to remove the TIMING BELT to do a water pump on the 2.8V6's. If you don't have the engine at TDC compression stroke, you may have a hard time re-timing it!

Old 09-01-2010, 01:26 AM
2nd Gear

what i did was make marks with a sharpie to make sure the timing stays the same when i did my water pump change. i ended up not moving it anyways but the marks were there just for safety

Old 09-01-2010, 10:01 AM
1st Gear

ok so let me get this right, u marked the timming belt to make sure it goes back on the same teeth, is there anything im missing?

Old 09-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Indexing the engine positions it so that the cams are flat-spotted. This keeps them from spinning when you take the timing belt off (which you have to do since it drives the water pump). You can still manually index the engine from where you are. Remove the upper timing covers and look at the oval brackets on the cam sprockets. There is a small hole and a large hole in each. Put a 24mm socket on a breaker bar and hand-rotate the crank until those brackets are horizontal with the large holes toward the center of the engine, small holes toward the fenders. That'll put the engine in the proper index.

Where you may have trouble is the hydraulic tensioner - once the pin is pulled and tension is applied, it's not really meant to be pushed back again, but given the amount of disassembly you're doing you should at least change the timing tensioner, relay arm, idler roller, tensioner roller, thermostat, and timing/serpentine belts while you're in there so you don't have to tear it back down later. Do it all at once.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:46 PM
1st Gear

ok so im having a hard time releasing the t-belt, i found the tensioner, now how do i remove tension? its really hard lol

Old 09-01-2010, 01:52 PM
2nd Gear

if i remember right you have to move the tensioner since it is spring loaded? i cant remember right but i think that you have to turn it or something.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Read what I said above - the tensioner really isn't meant to be detensioned and you'll have a hell of a time with it. There's a chance you may compromise it trying to press it back in. It (along with the other stuff I've listed) should be changed out while you're in there. On every t-belt job I do I remove the idler roller to put slack in the belt and then remove the tensioning parts. Don't fvck around with this - get a new tensioner and related parts for ease of replacement and peace of mind. Two areas not to cut corners on this car are the timing assembly and brake work. Do it right.

Quick Reply: Help noob change water pump! 2.8L 98