B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Help! No brake lights!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 12:26 AM
1st Gear
Default Help! No brake lights!

So I discovered that my brake lights are out, all three of them. Good fuse, I tried a different brake switch behind the pedal. Nothing. Relay maybe? I had just changed the brake light bulbs in the tail lights. Weird thing is, when i pulled the bulbs out, they were broken, like the glass at the base had broken but the filament was still in tact so they still lit up. Reverse lights, rear fogs, and directionals all work. Pass side running light is out and all break lights are out? What else could it be? Idk what else to do.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:17 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mhuntington
So I discovered that my brake lights are out, all three of them. Good fuse, I tried a different brake switch behind the pedal. Nothing. Relay maybe? I had just changed the brake light bulbs in the tail lights. Weird thing is, when i pulled the bulbs out, they were broken, like the glass at the base had broken but the filament was still in tact so they still lit up. Reverse lights, rear fogs, and directionals all work. Pass side running light is out and all break lights are out? What else could it be? Idk what else to do.
The contacts in the bulb holder need to be cleaned and gently pried up a tad so they make better contact. Try that.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

That makes sense. But what about the brake lights? Even the center one was out and I didn't touch it. What about the fuse box under the hood? I tried a relay and brake light switch from my 97. The relay was a different number(mine was 387 and the one I put in was 374) I'm starting to think I have a bad ground? Where would that be?

Old 02-23-2014, 04:02 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mhuntington
That makes sense. But what about the brake lights? Even the center one was out and I didn't touch it. What about the fuse box under the hood? I tried a relay and brake light switch from my 97. The relay was a different number(mine was 387 and the one I put in was 374) I'm starting to think I have a bad ground? Where would that be?
Not sure but check that you have juice to the bulb holder gizmo. I bet it's the contacts that are depressed. Not sad, just pushed down and maybe corroded a little.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:54 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
Not sure but check that you have juice to the bulb holder gizmo. I bet it's the contacts that are depressed. Not sad, just pushed down and maybe corroded a little.
Unfortunately I'm not any help to you here; I have very little knowledge about working with electricals. However, it seems kind of odd to me that you would suggest that the contacts being bent wrong. If a couple of the lights were out, then that's one thing. But in this case, you are suggesting that ALL of his contacts suddenly decided to bend wrong at the same time.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:16 PM
1st Gear

Are you sure you replaced your bulbs with the correct ones? That's where I would look first. Check the bulbs you have in right now; are they burnt out? Are they broken? Either way, check the numbers and see if they are the right ones. I believe they should be 7528 and highmount should be 2825.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:13 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by soulstep
Unfortunately I'm not any help to you here; I have very little knowledge about working with electricals. However, it seems kind of odd to me that you would suggest that the contacts being bent wrong. If a couple of the lights were out, then that's one thing. But in this case, you are suggesting that ALL of his contacts suddenly decided to bend wrong at the same time.
Do you get a dashboard warning that a bulb is out? You indicated that the other lights are working in they array. Reverse, rear fog and directionals all work? Right? So only the brake bulbs are not working? Try the easy stuff first like cleaning and repositioning the contacts and like stated above make sure you have the correct bulbs. A voltmeter from contact to ground with someone pressing the brake pedal will tell the story on the juice availability.