B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Help identifying a bolt

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 09:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Help identifying a bolt

Im replacing a wheel bearing on the rt rear side of my 2001 audi A4 quattro.
The piece that the bearing is located in (dont know the name) has a bolt on the bottom that has a groove all the way down it. On one end is the bolt end is what I think is permanent oval washer that as you turn the bolt moves the bolt forward and backwards, I think this is for adjusting where its located for alignment, but Im not sure. The washer on the other end is the same, its kind of oval and you can adjust it so both sides of the bolt are in the same location. Its not the tie rod bolt, and theres a plastic arm attatched, thats not the bolt either,, its the bolt on the bottom that attatches to what I think is an A arm.

When I was removing this bolt to take the part into a machine shop to have the bearing removed and replaced, the bolt broke. I dont know if I can use a regular bolt, because Im pretty sure the oval end has a purpose. before I removed it, I turned it all the way around and it moved the arm forwards and backwards.

I need to order a replacement bolt and I couldnt explain it over the phone, and not knowing the name made it impossible to order online. So what is the name of the bolt, and is it possible to use just a regular bolt to replace it.

Last edited by Rdutch; 11-28-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:07 PM
2nd Gear

If it's what I'm thinking of, it's called an eccentric bolt ad it's used for making small camber adjustments. You can replace it with a regular bolt but it might throw your alignment off, and make sure you use a high grade bolt because you don't want it snapping. Just get one at the dealership or contact someone who parts out audis, the same thing happened to me and I got a bunch of used but in nearly perfect condition bolts for free.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:09 PM
2nd Gear

I haven't played with the rear suspension on my car yet but could you mean this: http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...r_Bolt/ES5838/ ?

Old 11-28-2010, 10:29 PM
5th Gear

yes dragon that is the correct bolt. it's crucial that you get another one where the washer is one with the head of the bolt