B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

help! gt2871r elim problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 03:42 PM
1st Gear

yeah just that code. i erased it last night and it came back. i just reseated and fixed the fuel rail and i erased the code and it stoped smoking, and the code didnt come back, but after a few hard pulls, it started smoking again, but not as bad as it did yesterday. im thinking either coil packs or spark plugs?

Old 02-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Well since you just replaced the spark plugs I doubt its that, could very well be the coilpacks.

Usually with the multiple misfire code it will tell you which cylinder is misfiring. Swap the coilpacks around and see if the misfire follows it. If you aren't getting a specific cylinder code that will be a little more difficult.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:01 PM
4th Gear

I would start by looking at block 032 reading with the engine off. Then look at block 022 at idle to see if the ecu is pulling timing back. If timing pull is zero then I would look at block 002 IIRC to see how much timing the ecu is running at idle.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:44 PM
1st Gear

ok so i took the car out today to do some errands and it seems to run fine for the first 15-20 mins of driving, after that it slowly starts to misfire and smoke. this was repeated 3 times. i drive somewhere and at first its fine, then it starts to misfire and smoke, then i park for about 30 mins, start it up, runs good and then starts missing and smoking again after 20 mins of driving. the smoke is definately from running rich, im just not sure what causes it to run so rich only later on during the drive and not in the beginning.

the spark plugs i used were used/old but were in better condition than the ones that i had on. i picked up some bkr7e's today and ill try those out first thing in the morning.

as far as logging goes, i dont have a vag-com so i guess im just out of luck there. any other way to diagnose this?

thanks for all the help

Old 02-02-2011, 11:56 PM
1st Gear

just a long shot because it happened to me recently, how is your heat working? is your coolant guage moving from C?

Old 02-03-2011, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by chris120391
ok so i took the car out today to do some errands and it seems to run fine for the first 15-20 mins of driving, after that it slowly starts to misfire and smoke. this was repeated 3 times. i drive somewhere and at first its fine, then it starts to misfire and smoke, then i park for about 30 mins, start it up, runs good and then starts missing and smoking again after 20 mins of driving. the smoke is definately from running rich, im just not sure what causes it to run so rich only later on during the drive and not in the beginning.

the spark plugs i used were used/old but were in better condition than the ones that i had on. i picked up some bkr7e's today and ill try those out first thing in the morning.
This may be a shot in the dark, but I wonder if the plugs you have tried are too hot of a heat range, and as your engine heats up there is slight pre-detonation, causing an incomplete burn and thus fuel in your exhaust. If this is the case then I would suspect the BKR7E plugs (gapped appropriately) should work. But what do I know - it will be very interesting to hear how it goes with the new plugs.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:46 AM
1st Gear

thats exactly what i was thinking because why else would it only happen when the engine is fully heated up. but we'll see, im no car guru but hopefully that should fix it, if not then . my temp sensor is working fine. another question... is there supposed to be a gasket between my oil pan and my oil drain flange? im leaking quite a bit of oil from there and not to sure what to do.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:29 AM
4th Gear

What FMIC kit is on the car? Any chance the FMIC you have is not able to handle the air flow from the Elim kit causing the IAT's to rise way too much the longer you drive the car?

Yes there should be a flange gasket there between the drain flange and the pan.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:07 PM
1st Gear

i have an ebay fmic with a 2.25" cold side and a 2.5" hot side. i doubt its my AIT when i scanned the car with my obd tool it said AIT 85 degrees, and its about 36 degrees F here right now.

i just installed the bkr7e's and with in the first minute it started smoking a little bit and after 5 mins it started misfiring. im guessing that its just giving too much fuel and fouling my plugs.

could it be the Uni 630cc Mafless tune? should i give them a call and see if they can switch my tune to a maf'd one because of the problems im having?

Old 02-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Tech Guru

what area are you in, cause i have the same file as you do, pretty much same car, except mine is a maf'ed file and i am running a gtrs... if you are close to st louis missouri

you could come over and swap ecus to see if that is it

Quick Reply: help! gt2871r elim problems