B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Help! Front ABS Sensor!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 09:22 PM
1st Gear
Default Help! Front ABS Sensor!

So after spending $120 getting the old front-left ABS sensor removed from the car, turns out the new ABS sensor I ordered DOESN'T FIT! It's too small, just sits loosely in the bore, and it seems a bit too long too.

Fine, so I ordered another one from a different source (different brand too). The second one I received is EXACTLY THE SAME as the first one that was too small! These damn things are expensive, I can't keep buying more!

There doesn't appear to be any choice for the model year of my A4 (2001), with the exception of different models for self-leveling headlights, which I do not have. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here... how do I get the right ABS sensor for my car? It's the last thing I need to fix before I can pass the import inspection.

edit: the reference part number I've been finding is 8D0 927 803D, which is the part that the sensors I ordered purport to replace. This is a push-in front sensor.

Last edited by GoremanX; 09-11-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:40 AM
Legal Moderator

next time, buy an ebay abs sensor. there like 20 bucks and actually work. the reason the abs sensor you have doesnt fit is because theres a metal clip that fits inside the bore is missing would be my guess. for it being too long, you need to push in hard. like tap on it with a hammer a little. iif it wont go anymore its probably good. the end of the sensor will actually wear against the ring on the cv axle.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:01 AM
1st Gear

The first one I bought was an eBay sensor.

There was no metal clip in sight when I looked at the old one. Also, there's no mention of any metal clip in the service manual anywhere. The old sensor just filled the entire bore tightly.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:05 AM

There's a metal cylinder style sleeve they press into. The ones on eBay shouldn't be 120 bucks. Look the the spindle there should be a brass color sleeve.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:14 AM
1st Gear

I didn't pay $120 for the sensor, I paid $120 to have the old one removed by a shop (because I couldn't get it out myself). The first one I bought was $20 and can't be returned. The second one I bought was $95, and I'm sending it back for a refund since its identical to the $20 one.

Is there a part number for this metal cylinder? All I've got in the empty bore is raw cast iron, nothing else.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Legal Moderator
Old 09-12-2012, 08:45 AM
1st Gear

Thanks!

$28?!?!?!?!?!?!??????

I found it elsewhere for $10, but I need it for tomorrow and overnight shipping from California is $36.

The local dealer has it for $42.

What a rip! Guess the dealer's getting my money today... bastards.

I really wish this stupid sleeve was mentioned somewhere in the service manual. Would've saved me days of aggravation and a bunch of money.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:01 AM

You should go to the shop who ripped you off for $120 and demand the sleeve back.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:42 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
You should go to the shop who ripped you off for $120 and demand the sleeve back.
2 hours of labor at $60/hr (which I actually find quite reasonable as an hourly rate) = $120. They removed both the front-left and rear-right sensors, and each one was seized so bad that I gave up on them after swearing at them for over an hour. When I was working (and failing) at removing the front one, I never saw this sleeve, so my guess is it was just a part of the seized, rusted mess. None of these ABS sensors have been changed in 227,000 miles, so I'm not terribly surprised. Just annoyed that anyone could pretend that stupid piece of copper is somehow worth $42 + tax.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Legal Moderator

to get the abs sensor out you usually have to thake the knucle out and use a punch and hit it out from the inside cause the metal part of the sensor grinding against the tone ring on the axle cause it to flatten and wont be able to get pulled out

Quick Reply: Help! Front ABS Sensor!