B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Help buing an A4

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 07:49 AM
Default Help buing an A4

hey guys, I own a 01 330Ci it currently have 96K miles. I am planning on sell it because I need a 4 door and seen some decent price on some A4. I've seen the 1.8T 2.8 and 3.0? I'm looking for mostly a reliable car/motor. I am looking to spent about $10,500. I've seens some around that range that I'm interested.

Questions:
is there a specific year I should look for?
What should been change at what mileage?
What are the common issue with the A4 on the 3 different motor?
How's maintance cost on these car?

I search and didn't find a thread about what to look for when buying.. if you got a link that will be great too..

thanks

Old 02-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Default RE: Help buing an A4

1.8T = tremendous mod capability, easy power for relatively cheap, but not as reliable as the....
2.8 = naturally aspirated, very nice engines. Make sure you get the 30v, not the 12v. Otherwise your car won't really accelerate.
3.0 = introduction seen in the b6 engines. They're very nice engines.

Specific year? No. Whatever tickles your pickle.
There's local European shops that will help you determine what to change and when.
Common issues with all of them are faulty coilpacks and window regulators; plus, I can't seem to keep girls off of me!
Maintenance is a little more expensive, because they're JA GERMAN, but that's okay. You pay for quality.

If you're looking to spend $10,500 I think you're limited to b5 (so the 3.0 is rendered void), but look around and you'll find some stuff.