B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Help ASAP, need answer by lunch Tomor (weds)!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 10:11 PM
1st Gear
Default Help ASAP, need answer by lunch Tomor (weds)!

How do I clear a CEL? My check engine light is on and need gone ASAP! I don't have a code reader and don't wanna pay. What way is there. I did a search n all I saw was disconnect battery n touch +&- cables. Is this true? Will it mess with anything. I don't wanna have to get a code for radio or any of that. Thankyou. Please have a legit answer that will work(praying)

Old 09-20-2011, 11:17 PM
1st Gear

Do NOT touch the cables together. But disconnecting the battery will only clear the CEL if it is not a persisting problem, and in most cases will only clear it for a few miles. And you don't have to worry about the radio code unless your car has the immobilizer, which is believe is 2001(.5?) or newer. Even if it is, you can ride around for a little bit with the radio locked, and pull it out when you get home and locate the code on the back of it.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:22 PM
1st Gear

well if your close to one maybe auto zone could clear it with they're code reader. for FREE!!

Old 09-20-2011, 11:37 PM
Tech Slut

If you're trying to pass inspection/emissions, then forget about just clearing the codes. Their scanners need to see readiness to pass the vehicle.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:07 AM
Tech Guru

If it is for inspection then it generally depends on what the CEL is for. If the shop is reputable and goes strictly by the book then whatever your CEL is for might not matter. All they'll do is tell you what is wrong and recommend you fix it... With them, of course.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:26 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by evelluser
Even if it is, you can ride around for a little bit with the radio locked, and pull it out when you get home and locate the code on the back of it.
I'm fairly certain the code won't be on the back of his radio.

The readiness code FASTER was talking about takes...around 30 miles to register (I think)

Old 09-21-2011, 04:53 AM
1st Gear

It's got an estimate to sell. Code is to believed to be secondary air pump which I fixed the hose that was disconected

Old 09-21-2011, 06:06 AM
1st Gear

Autozone isn't allowed to erase codes, at least that was last I heard. They were only allowed to read them, and if they get caught erasing them they could get slapped with a big fine.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:06 AM
Administrator

The radio code is definitely not on the back of the radio. What would be the point of having it? That'd be like taping the key to a pad lock to the back of the lock...

What you want is not going to happen. If you don't want to get the radio code, you need a scanner. If you don't want to use a scanner, you need the radio code. There is no way around this. Autozone/Advance will read the code but are legally not allowed to clear it. If you can't get the radio code, you're either going to have to buy an OBDII code reader from Advance or find somebody local to you with one (or VAG COM) to clear it.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:08 PM
1st Gear

I remember reading a write-up on here that said the radio code was on the back of the radio. I don't remember which write-up it was, but I know I read it. I'm not just gonna come up with that **** outta my ***..

Quick Reply: Help ASAP, need answer by lunch Tomor (weds)!