B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

heater core or blower motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 10:20 PM
1st Gear
Default heater core or blower motor?

so i have a 2000 a4 2.8 30v...im trying to figure out whether my heater core or blower motor is going bad or there is another issue all together.

So basically it started two months ago (roughly) when i turned on my heat i would hear a gurgling sound behind my dash. I figured it had something to do with the heat and then i did major maintenance on car and was not running it anyway.

I finally got my car back on road and the sound has been steadily growing more frequent and louder. It has developed into gurgling and a low humming sound on the first two settings for speed. Then today i had it up to about six hash marks (speed) and it made an awful loud noise that almost sounded like power steering going bad (if anyone knows what that sounds like LOL)...so i turned off heat and the sound went away. Also if i let the heat stay on for a few seconds the sound will go away..its generally when i turn it on or have it on the lower settings. Anyway I have yet to turn heat on because i dont want to do more damage and wanted to get some feedback...so yeah does this sound like blower motor or heater core? or something more serious : /.

i have done research and most ppl say heater core would leave leaks on carpet and condensations on windows but i have not had any of these issues and i still have heat. It works well other than the noise but its started to get more loud and obnoxious so it has me worrying and id ont want to damage anything else.

any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!

Old 03-13-2013, 03:53 AM
Legal Moderator

sounds like a blower motor to me alright. try turing the temp down and if it still makes the noise its gotta be the blower

Old 03-13-2013, 07:54 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
sounds like a blower motor to me alright. try turing the temp down and if it still makes the noise its gotta be the blower
well thats where the noise is. I still have the factory climate control unit so it goes by hash marks in terms of speed. So the first hash mark or second i get a squeak at first but that has turned into a humming almost ilke something it starting up...but then goes away after a few seconds. Also at higher speeds it doesnt generally make a noise just when i first turn it on or turn it off at lower speeds

Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 AM
2nd Gear

blower motor.