B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Headliner re-spray

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 12:24 AM
1st Gear
Default Headliner re-spray

So my headliner is finally kapüt. Everywhere except along the edges has separated from the roof. Is it possible to pull it down along the edge of the rear window, re-spray, and re-apply? Or do I have to vacuum the foam backing? I need some sort of input/answer before I end up taking Audrey to the interior shop that quoted me ~$500 to apply a new headliner.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:23 PM
1st Gear

Bump? Anybody out there?

Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 PM
2nd Gear

You'd probably be better off buying a used headliner from a part-out and installing it yourself. There is a writeup somewhere on removing the headliner.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:34 AM

i recovered mine. incredibly easy. the hard part is taking it out. But you can buy headliner material at a fabric store for cheap. i got it on sale for like 8 bucks for all of it. you can do whatever fabric you desire doesn't have to have foam backing. they also have headliner spray or go to the auto parts store and get a can of 3m heavy duty adhesive, its "stringy". just start in the middle and work out. Your gonna want to grab a wire brush and scrape all the nasty orange foam off the headliner first. its a nasty job you'll be sticky as **** afterwards. If you need more help lmk, this is ultra easy way easier than paying a bunch of money for a new headliner.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
i recovered mine. incredibly easy. the hard part is taking it out. But you can buy headliner material at a fabric store for cheap. i got it on sale for like 8 bucks for all of it. you can do whatever fabric you desire doesn't have to have foam backing. they also have headliner spray or go to the auto parts store and get a can of 3m heavy duty adhesive, its "stringy". just start in the middle and work out. Your gonna want to grab a wire brush and scrape all the nasty orange foam off the headliner first. its a nasty job you'll be sticky as **** afterwards. If you need more help lmk, this is ultra easy way easier than paying a bunch of money for a new headliner.
That's important, it will look like **** if you don't do that. Ran into that problem when I did my door cards that now need to be re-done because I didn't do that lol

Old 04-10-2012, 11:14 AM

Did my headliner over a year ago. That orange foam crap is absolutely disgusting. If you have a cloth interior (like me) you have to be careful removing the headliner to make sure you don't get any of it on the fabric interior.

I only used a wire brush on the curved areas. On the flat areas a wallpaper scraper did an excellent job. And as mentioned above, I used 3M heavy duty spray adhesive, and an automotive tweed fabric (from Ebay) and so far so good!