B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Headlights out! Fuse box diagram?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 05:58 PM
1st Gear
Default Headlights out! Fuse box diagram?

This morning my headlights decided not to come on when I put the lever up. Parking lights work, and highbeam flashes when I pull that stalk back. Also fogs and rear fog don't come up (because headlights not on). I didn't do any tests but assume it is in the headlight switch at the steering column. Before I start taking this apart ... any advice?

Also, does anyone know of a chart that shows what fuse goes to what? Have the Bentley but can't find anything like that.

Oh yea, 98 A4 2.8 30v Q Man
Regular halogen lights.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-11-2009, 06:05 PM
1st Gear

common issue mine has this

its the combination switch and more specificlly the lower plastic slide contact more then likly the back contact was shorting and melted the blastic holding the copper bridge off the contact

u can try replacing the melted peice or the whole switch mine i think i gotta change the whole switch as ive swaped the peice 3 times allrdy

Old 09-11-2009, 06:05 PM
4th Gear

like do u just want a pic of the fuse layout cover on the side of the dash? or what?... are u sure your bulbs didnt go out?

Old 09-11-2009, 06:06 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Sidewayzracer
common issue mine has this

its the combination switch and more specificlly the lower plastic slide contact more then likly the back contact was shorting and melted the blastic holding the copper bridge off the contact

u can try replacing the melted peice or the whole switch mine i think i gotta change the whole switch as ive swaped the peice 3 times allrdy
isnt that expensive?

Old 09-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Administrator

The combi switch is a very common problem on B5s. Its not expensive to fix it yourself, just takes some time and a little patience (and some ***** because there's a chance the airbag will go off in your face)

You CAN buy a whole new switch for about $130 if you'd like, but you're still gonna have to take the steering wheel apart to swap them.

As far as fuse diagrams go, there is a numbered diagram on the inside of the fuse box cover. The corresponding numbers are explained in a table in the owner's manual. If you don't have yours, i'd be happy to list them for ya.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:44 PM
1st Gear

It isn't a problem witht the bulbs as they are neew and the lights come on with the high beam lever pulled back. It must be the multi switch. I wil probably tinker with it tomorrow to see if I can just fix it. The air-bag won't deploy with the battery disconnected ... right? Should I wear those big-*** plastic goggles like in science lab? Thanks again for the responses AND

Yes please post the fuse # and corresponding function. I don't have the Owner's Manual just the quick reference manual and warranty book, etc.
Would be a big help if its not too much of a PITA. Peace!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-12-2009, 09:58 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
The combi switch is a very common problem on B5s. Its not expensive to fix it yourself, just takes some time and a little patience (and some ***** because there's a chance the airbag will go off in your face)

You CAN buy a whole new switch for about $130 if you'd like, but you're still gonna have to take the steering wheel apart to swap them.

As far as fuse diagrams go, there is a numbered diagram on the inside of the fuse box cover. The corresponding numbers are explained in a table in the owner's manual. If you don't have yours, i'd be happy to list them for ya.
Hey, I don't know if it's to much to ask... but I too do not have the owner's manual. If you don't mind; could you post the fuse numbers for the lights in the interior of the trunk and license plate. I would really appreciate it.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Repaired multi switch - thanks for the help

The repair went just like Sidewayzracer described. That small plastic piece holding the contacts had become worn from 201k miles of headlight switching. I used a utility knife blade to shave down the impeding plastic, lubed the rocking parts and it's a fix!!!! Thanks again ... NOW ...

My AirBag light is on. Is this normal after removal? Do I need to seek out the dude with the VAG or is there something I can do?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!