B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

headlight upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 08:44 AM
1st Gear
Default headlight upgrade questions

Hi guys,

I have a 2001 B5 model with factory HID lights. I want to change the headlights to something with an LED daytime running light in it and I'm confused. Just about everything I look at online says that it can't be used if you have factory HID. What *can* I use?... what's available that will work with what I have? If there is nothing available that is "plug and play" then what must I do to change them?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 03-10-2014, 11:10 AM

You already have the best headlights for your car. The other headlights with LEDs in them are crap quality...

Your stock headlights have leveling motors in them, which are used with the auto-leveling system your car has. Aftermarket LED headlights don't offer this option.

My opinion: don't buy any headlights with LEDs in them. The LEDs won't act as DRL you wiring them that way anyways. You can do the independent fog light mod and use the fog lights sort of as DRL (this way you can turn them on without the headlights also needed to be on).

Old 03-10-2014, 11:33 AM
1st Gear

I like the look of the LED's which is what I'm going for.

As for auto-leveling... my lights have pointed too far down at the ground the entire time I have had it so I don't think it's auto-leveling. I've made mention many times that they need adjusted but have not looked into it (I've had the car for almost one year so far).

Anyways, I don't care if the ones I have are considered "better"... I am trying to achieve a style and leaving them as-is does not give me the style that I want. So... that being said, does anyone have an answer for me?

Old 03-10-2014, 11:36 AM
1st Gear

The fog light mod sounds interesting... can they be made to simply turn on with the car too?

Old 03-10-2014, 12:15 PM
2nd Gear

I agree with the first posted, you already have the best I wouldn't replace them with cheap LED headlights. That's me though. Of course it's your car so you should do whatever you like.

You can make the fog lights DRL so they are always on. I'm not 100% how though. It is very easy though.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:20 PM
1st Gear

I don't think you understand... I'm not replacing the HID lights... just want to add the look of LED daytime running lights too. They make a bunch of lenses with LED DRL's in *addition to* the HID's

Old 03-10-2014, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by numach
As for auto-leveling... my lights have pointed too far down at the ground the entire time I have had it so I don't think it's auto-leveling. I've made mention many times that they need adjusted but have not looked into it (I've had the car for almost one year so far).
Believe it or not, but for cars with auto-leveling, you actually need a computer with VCDS (or VAG-COM) to communicate with the headlight leveling module before adjusting the beam height. Then you adjust your beam height.

Last edited by MetalMan; 03-10-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:18 PM
2nd Gear

As mentioned before, the OEM Valeo headlights you have now sell for $959: Audi B5 A4 Quattro 1.8T Lighting Headlights - 8d0998099 - Xenon Headlights Set - ES#1876821

You want the look of some sort of LED headlight and those sell for $200-$300. The difference that people are pointing out is that the Valeo projectors that you have (not the bulbs or ballasts) is significantly better. That is, it will provide more crisp and better light output than anything you're going to put in unless you retrofit your projectors into the new housings for the LEDs. At that point, you should just retrofit better projectors from a Lexus or Infiniti and not destroy what are believed to be high quality Valeos.

But, if you're set on just replacing your Valeos, eBay has a lot. The quality won't be great, the seal may not be perfect and you'll get condensation inside, or the LED output will be disappointing. Probably all three. Should be plug and play as you have one piece headlights now. You'll probably need new ballasts and bulbs, but I don't know.

1999 2000 2001 Audi A4 2002 S4 B5 Black R8 LED Strip Headlights Corner Lights | eBay

1996 1997 1998 1999 Audi A4 B5 R8 Style DRL LED Projector Headlights Lamp Chrome | eBay

Helix Audi A4/S4 B5 "S5 Style" LED Ecode Chrome Projector Headlights - PG Performance

Originally Posted by numach
I don't think you understand... I'm not replacing the HID lights... just want to add the look of LED daytime running lights too. They make a bunch of lenses with LED DRL's in *addition to* the HID's
I'm guessing you want the LED look newer cars have with super bright DRL LEDs. If you find something of high quality, let us know. I don't think it currently exists for the B5. You could do something more unique like this. The guy used 24 clusters of 4 bright LEDs per side if I recall correctly.

You could also contact http://www.krautoled.com as Emil has sold DRL LEDs separate from headlight housings before and will probably be able to hook you up. He's a sponsor on this site and his username is Emil@KrautoLED

Last edited by Skythe; 03-10-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:20 AM
1st Gear

Thank you! Not only was that a very complete answer (different than I was expecting... but that's a good thing) but I think the video you showed me gave me a completely different idea.

I want to do something a little unique but at the same time not have to modify a bunch of stuff. I dunno... I guess I'll figure something out, lol.

Thanks everybody for the input!