B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

headlight question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 11:20 AM
1st Gear
Default headlight question

before i installed my hids and now the hid's it looks like i have a step in the middle of the beam like it shows in the picture, it usually looks like one of the lights is usually higher when im driving. should they be even of is that normal?

in the picture i am slanted and not on level ground in the drive way, just wanted yall to see the step in the middle of the beams im describing.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:52 AM
2nd Gear

I'm guessing that these are the stock H7 projectors? It looks like you may have a bulb seating issue on the passenger side causing the downward bowing issue. It also appears that you may need to raise the passenger side light.

For proper aiming, find some place where you have a nice wall and level parking lot. Pull your car up the the wall so that the bumper is nearly touching the wall. Use some blue painter's tape to mark the step and cutoff of each beam. Now backup about 25'. Adjust the vertical aiming screw so that the cutoff is now 3-4" below your tape line. Adjust the lateral aiming screw so that the step lines up with your original mark.

The step in the center of each beam is supposed to be there to help illuminate the shoulder of the road.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:56 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bshusted
I'm guessing that these are the stock H7 projectors? It looks like you may have a bulb seating issue on the passenger side causing the downward bowing issue. It also appears that you may need to raise the passenger side light.

For proper aiming, find some place where you have a nice wall and level parking lot. Pull your car up the the wall so that the bumper is nearly touching the wall. Use some blue painter's tape to mark the step and cutoff of each beam. Now backup about 25'. Adjust the vertical aiming screw so that the cutoff is now 3-4" below your tape line. Adjust the lateral aiming screw so that the step lines up with your original mark.

The step in the center of each beam is supposed to be there to help illuminate the shoulder of the road.
Thety are aftermarket HID's but my old setup had the same issue. the pic was just to reference the step. but usually one does appear higher when driving and was not sure if i should see both head lights when driving of if they should make one pattern instead of seeing two different ones.