B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Headlight bulb replacement...any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 07:30 PM
1st Gear
Question Headlight bulb replacement...any suggestions?

Hey guys, so my right headlight went out
i called advanced they said that they have normal ones for $12 and about $18 for these brighter ones he mentioned which were on special for 2 pack..
I wanted to go ahead and replace both of them with pretty nice ones since i have to change them anyways... any suggetions you guys have? do you know of any good brands i can buy from online ect? those ebay XINON HID lights cant be that good huh?

thanks,

and also is it really hard to replace them?

2001 a4 1.8t

Old 01-14-2009, 07:40 PM
1st Gear

Sylvania Silverstar Ultras are really good lights if you want to stick with Halogen. Otherwise, get a cheap one and order some HIDs.

The eBay Xenon lights are just a halogen bulb with blue glass. They suck.

A set of Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs will run you about $40 with tax.

Replacing them is easy. In did an entire HID install (a VVME kit) in about an hour...replacing the bulbs themselves should only take you a couple of minutes.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:46 PM

Whats up how much did you want to spent your always better off with upgrading xenon kit they have one year waranty if you need more info let me know or even prices what ever you need it could all ways be done just got look in the right place

Old 01-14-2009, 09:14 PM
1st Gear

hey thanks allot guys for the replies,

i searched for the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra that you mentioned Ryan and i found these ones it seems like a great deal but not sure like which spacific ones are compatable with my car you know..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Sylvan...3%3A1|294%3A50

I talked to the guy in advance he said that the ones for 18 are also sylvania but they are not the silverstar ultras, they are the extra's or something.. but in any case i just want to replace them and im looking to spend at around like 20something for good ones..

Old 01-14-2009, 11:35 PM
Administrator

My tidbit to add to this is that in my experience, Silverstars have a color temperature similar to HID, but nowhere near the intensity or luminosity. For $40 for Silverstars, or $70ish for HIDs, the HIDs are the clear win, trust me. And also in my experience, Silverstars seem to burn out exceptionally quickly (like about 5 months or so).

/ $.02

Old 01-15-2009, 04:05 AM

so where is the best hid package?? i ve heard mixed things about the ebay ones and i dont mind spending a few extras bucks on the audi to get the right thing

Old 01-15-2009, 09:30 AM
1st Gear

I'm guessing this is the low beam bulb that went out... Any H7 bulb should work in its place. Also any H7 HID kit should work as well. Your bulb selection all depends on how much you want to spend and what type of illumination you want.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:28 AM
3rd Gear

VVME is a widely accepted kit here. Idk what kit I have in my car but the ballasts are Philips and the only problem I have had was from the previous owners install. He didn't mount the passenger one at all and it strained the wires and wore out the weather seals on the plugs so I had to clean the terminals up and remount.

Lol so I just looked up the VVME kit and it looks like thats what I have.

Is this the right kit? http://www.vvme.com/product/detail-20023.html Thats cheap!

Last edited by somebody5788; 01-15-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:05 AM
1st Gear

VVME is a great kit for the money...but the thing is, he needs a bulb (or two) now.

The VVME kit will take at LEAST a week to get to you...some have experienced shorter times, others have seen much longer shipping times. Mine took about 10 days.

Armenian, if you're gonna go with HIDs and you want the most economical thing you can buy, get the VVME kit, and throw a cheap H7 bulb in there for now. I still have my old H7 bulbs...if you were closer, I'd just give it to you...

Old 01-15-2009, 11:53 AM
1st Gear

I went with Sylvania Silverstar Ultra H7s from Amazon.com.

I paid $38 shipped! These bulbs are great. The only downfall is that they only last about a year. However, for the price, your not going to find a brighter bulb!

Quick Reply: Headlight bulb replacement...any suggestions?