B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Headgasket R&R 2.8 12v advise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 08:41 PM
1st Gear
Default 2.8 audi a4

hay how did you manage to unbolt the crankshaft bolt coze i cant get mine off even with a air gun and the 2.7 timing tool set should work for the 2.8 any idea thanks

Old 12-28-2010, 10:50 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Audi Tek
You won't remove the intake manifold to save time....? But you remove the entire lock carrier assembly....?

All you had to do is what we call "tipping the nose"

And thats remove all the bolts and let the thing hang forward resting of the edge of the nose mount....Goodluck
thanks for the advise but im just following the haynes, an i wanted more room than if i just tipped it. along with im like 6'2'' and bending down into that lil space would just about kill me. now i can just scoot aroundon my lil craftsman chair... ok.... im caught i dont have the right tool to completely take off that mani, so yea, and its fine the way it sits actually, but thanks for luck, ima need it

Originally Posted by audipowerz1
hay how did you manage to unbolt the crankshaft bolt coze i cant get mine off even with a air gun and the 2.7 timing tool set should work for the 2.8 any idea thanks
an YOU DONT HAVE TOO!! lol i was thinkin the same ****, then i found out, all you have to do is take the 10mm bolt off that holds the A/C lines under the pulley, were the arrow is. then just take the 8 allen bolts off the pulley and it comes right off. now unless you have to take the crank gear off, then good luck, cuz its zapped on there pretty tight, also the dealer recommends replacing that bolt if you do bust it loose..

heres a pic i highlighted all the bolts i took off to get the car were its at right now.

1 a/c line holder
1 on the middle of the tensioner
8 on the crank pulley
4 for the fan
1 Reverse nut (not in pic) for the fan clutch
3 on the P/s pump pulley
and 4 more for that fan pulley assembly thing (again no namer & not in pic)

Name:  IMAG0161-1.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  85.7 KB

Old 12-28-2010, 10:54 AM
1st Gear

ok im on a hold... does anybody have a clue if i have to take off the header on the pass side to remove the head? i have tripple square head bolts, if it makes a difference

Old 12-28-2010, 12:03 PM
1st Gear

ok so ima take this "down" time to really introduce myself, my name's Chris. im 20 years old, live in hayward CA. and as of yesterday, i am a new Owner of EAST BAY AUTO WHOLESALE. so im pretty juiced!! this is goin to be my personal car for a few. Ill have you know, i go through cars like shoes. lol but after seeing this pic.. i think im in love

Name:  futureaudi.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  3.3 KB

i went to UTI (any students/Grads in here?!?!) in sacramento. i dont really like people, just for the fact that i dont trust anybody. i learned the hard way. believe me. so i just do what i do, an thats buy fix or race my cars lol.. and now i just opened my business, well im 80% there... ok well thats enough of me talkin.. anyone want to introduce there self? put a name to their pic?

Old 12-28-2010, 04:14 PM
1st Gear

ok so back to business.. got the pass side head off. looks like im in for head machining. there's alot of corrosion in the water passages.. why? i don know.

but as for the exhaust manifold.. you can just leave it on and take it off with the head then remove it with the head off outside of the car..

Old 12-29-2010, 12:51 PM
2nd Gear

You dont need to remove the headlights

Old 12-29-2010, 04:33 PM
1st Gear

I should have mine finished tomm sometime one of my valve cover bolts stripped >=\ so it ended my day of work but once i had the right tools i was able to fly through it.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:45 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jaystacks
I should have mine finished tomm sometime one of my valve cover bolts stripped >=\ so it ended my day of work but once i had the right tools i was able to fly through it.
thats wats up! did you get both sides?

IM done as of 2 days ago, but now im stuck between 160 for mill, and 30 for a file, cuz my heads dont have much warpage.. specs say .002 is the most warpage available...

Does anyone know a good reputable shop out here in the east bay area??

Old 12-30-2010, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

well my heads are ready to come off. (bolts loosened but it got dark. should i have them milled/ filed? anyway to see if the head is warped?

Old 12-30-2010, 10:20 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jaystacks
well my heads are ready to come off. (bolts loosened but it got dark. should i have them milled/ filed? anyway to see if the head is warped?

I JUST picked up my heads, i was debating the same thing, then F*** it, got em milled an hot tanked. they even painted em

the best (only) way i know to check for warpage is with a straight edge. but then agian, if you dont mill em. you can only guess when the heads going to blow again. In my honest opinion. thats why i just got em done. they wanted 280 to do a full service. mill, hot tank, and valve job. but that was for EACH HEAD!

ok. so i took my heads to the shop with the cam gears on.. guess what. THEY'RE OFF!!!!FML

where do i go now? what do i do?

im lost. this totally threw me off

Quick Reply: Headgasket R&R 2.8 12v advise?