B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Headgasket R&R 2.8 12v advise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 06:29 PM
1st Gear
Default Headgasket R&R 2.8 12v advise?

lets jump right into it. i need some help with this. so far its goin kinda smooth, the pass side head is ready to come off. but i need helps with the timing belt.. i finally came down to the conclusion that the front clip needs to come off. any advise as to how this clip comes off???

heres some pics for the pic ******

were the audi sits right now
Name:  IMAG0147-1.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  58.1 KB

ok time to take off the CIA
Name:  IMAG0148.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  51.0 KB

heres a pic of the vacuum lines from the top, DONT forget about the line that goes from the TB to the bottom of the air duct! ohh and ill be replacing these lines as they are ALL just FUCKED UP! make sure you do the same
Name:  IMAG0149.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  40.7 KB

ok, now the duct is off and everything is pretty much straight forward.
Name:  IMAG0152.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  51.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0153.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  59.4 KB

And lift off.. im not completely removing the IM.. im trying to save as much time on assembly, and right now im only doing the pass side... so yea
Name:  IMAG0154.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  53.5 KB

Old 12-26-2010, 06:34 PM
1st Gear

ok so for anyone who needs to replace the serpentine belt.. ALL you need is a 6 point 17mm and a 3/8 breaker bar, if you dont have it, like me, all i used was a 17mm 1/2in drive OLD (used as a breaker) torque bar, non click style and it sliped right on.. turn to the right, and bam.. serpentine belt falls right off.

Name:  IMAG0157.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  46.0 KB

Old 12-26-2010, 08:09 PM
1st Gear

ok so got the front clip off. i think im done for the day. will post pics soon

Old 12-26-2010, 08:39 PM
1st Gear

ok sot to take the front clip off, first drain your coolant, and take off hoses to your radiator.

this is all i got... yea blown heads..
Name:  IMAG0162.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  49.1 KB

ok so now you must take off your lights
Name:  IMAG0159.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  48.7 KB

next, there are two 10mm bolts that hold the nozzle (dnt know the name.) onto the bumper. i used a universal, and 3in extension with my mini ratchet. once BOTH sides are done, simply use a flat head and take the lil covers off by simply prying underneath (in the middle) side to side. once done you will have access to the torx bolt that holds the bumper on. and then move on to the fender wells and remove any screws retaining the bumper to fender wells i believe 3 screws. then simply giggle each bumper end and it should come right off the clip. (one on each side)
Name:  IMAG0159-1.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  57.0 KB

i put a green dot on most bolts, this is just for refrence, make sure you disconect the hose going to the nozzle under the bumper, it looks just like a fuel line

then simply pull and this is what you will get

Name:  IMAG0160.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  57.2 KB

ok so below i labled the pic, the GREEN is Electrical conectors that you must unplug, (including the A/C lines that you must undo,) and the RED is bolts i came across

Name:  IMAG0160-1.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  72.0 KB

Old 12-26-2010, 08:43 PM
1st Gear

If you have a friend that can help, that would be better as the clip is kinda awkward, Inmy case i just left two bolts up top to hold it into place an i had to double check everything, you need to take off your hindge too! Just make sure you disconect the ambient temp, sensor that i circled in green,

Once done, your b5 will look like this
Name:  IMAG0161.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  58.4 KB

Old 12-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Administrator

You actually don't have to disconnect the AC lines. Just unhook all the other stuff and swing the clip open and to the side. The DIY for the timing belt service walks you through all of this but your pics with the highlighted areas indicating the bolts to be removed illustrates it better.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:08 AM
1st Gear

this is great i am doing this starting tomm!

Old 12-27-2010, 12:58 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
You actually don't have to disconnect the AC lines. Just unhook all the other stuff and swing the clip open and to the side. The DIY for the timing belt service walks you through all of this but your pics with the highlighted areas indicating the bolts to be removed illustrates it better.
Thanks, yea i dont have room to swing it around, and i check my high pressure side an i had nothin inside, so **** it right?

Originally Posted by jaystacks
this is great i am doing this starting tomm!
GREAT! post up some pics!!

Old 12-27-2010, 01:15 AM
1st Gear

ok so i had to put in some more work before i call it quits for the day

sorry i didnt take pics, but its pretty simple to remove the power Steering pump pulley, jus zap em off with a gun, if not then make sure to loosen em BEFORE you take off that serpentine belt!

Next the Serpt. belt tensioner, just one bolt holds it on. simple

ok, now to take off the fan clutch.... take the 4 10mm bolts off and the fan itself will come off. now for the clutch all you do is stick something in one of the holes to hold the pulley in place ( i know its not "right" but its all i have). ok now take your vise grips/wrench/channel locks and turn the nut to the RIGHT! it's reverse thread!

everything else is pretty much straight forward. now wen taking off the timing belt, if your goin to reuse the belt MAKE SURE YOU MARK IT! now, im ONLY reusing the belt because it has 190 miles as with the water pump and serpentine belt.. THEN the heads blow.. lol so yea i think im good.

before the belt removal
Name:  IMAG0163.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  60.2 KB

After
Name:  IMAG0164.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  69.4 KB

Old 12-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Tech Certified

You won't remove the intake manifold to save time....? But you remove the entire lock carrier assembly....?

All you had to do is what we call "tipping the nose"

And thats remove all the bolts and let the thing hang forward resting of the edge of the nose mount.

Now i'm assuming you didn't break loose the cam gears...? Cause if you did the timing marks would be pointless. But the reason to do so. To properly take up the slack after releasing the tension. Ive never done it the way you are, And i've heard nothing but nightmare stories from people that do. But from a mechanical perspective it is possible, But just be careful to turn the engine over by hand after you have the belt set. Any resistance other than compression. Stop....

Goodluck

Quick Reply: Headgasket R&R 2.8 12v advise?