B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Head rebuild. Got a tick and a leak.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 01:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Head rebuild. Got a tick and a leak.

Okay about two weeks ago I finished rebuilding my 2.8 30V. It bent all the valves on the driver side but none on the passenger so all the valves where replaced on the driver side.

I put the heads back on and the alignment with the arrows to the boxes was not neccesarily centered but they fell within and the drive shaft was center to TDC.

After starting I got this tick on the driver side I believe but my dad thinks it is coming from both sides. Now during timing the drive shaft pully had slop in it so I put it in the middle and aligned it up that way.

Now I think the tick is a valve but I am not sure. And I'm not sure if it is hitting the pistion or seal either. Should I let it go or try to adjust the timing a bit more by changing the position of the crank shaft pulley.

The leak I got a pretty good feeling its the cam seals. Unfortuantly I have replaced them about 6 months ago but with it sitting so long it may have deteriated already

First time taking some heads off so I am just looking for some input.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:19 AM
1st Gear

No one has an idea?

Old 06-10-2011, 04:19 PM
1st Gear

You are not giving enough info on the tick and this job sounds REALLY half assed. It sounds like you put it together hastily and now are paying the price.

Does the tick go away? How loud is it? Where is it coming from...You have not specified any of this so how are we supposed to give you a jumping off point? Give it a compression test to see if the valves even seated properly. Depending on how loud or how destructive the "tick" is, go from there. Could be an exhaust leak for all you know.

Good luck

Old 06-10-2011, 09:10 PM
2nd Gear

These engine have hydraulic lifters right? It could easily be lifters collapsed a bit from sitting unused for so long.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:09 PM
1st Gear

bmoore i spent a week putting this back together. trust me it was done right. i don't know how it could be a exhaust leak.

ya they are hydraulic lifters and it maybe that is where the noise is coming from. I do know that the lifters sat for awhile in the engine and out and all the oil was probably drained from them.

I do remember that the tick did quiet a bit when topping the oil off.

i just got back from china and will try to look at it more. thanks for some of the input.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:30 PM
1st Gear

dohc motors do have valve ticks regardless. If you are confident in your workmanship then there is nothing to worry about

what parts did you replace? It could be that this tick will always be there. How loud is it? Is it one cylinder? Is it rhythmic?

Old 06-21-2011, 04:24 PM
1st Gear

ok,

SHORT helpful answers...

1. you sound like you didnt tension the belt correctly! you dont put the slack in the middle. you put the belt on from the CRANK to the DRIVERS CAM pulley to the PASS CAM pulley to the "SLACK TAKER UPPER" ie the tensioner.

see the pattern?

I could go into it.. but if you didnt use the CAM lock tools... I would find it hard to believe you got in DEAD on... unleass you carefully painted your belt... to the pulleys for marks. then i think you got it.

2. your cam seals didnt deteriorate... it is more likely that your CRANK SHAFT VENT is plugged up... is teh hoses that come from the back of the engine to your EGR and from the "plenum valley" between the heads and under the INTAKE.

I took mine aparte recently and it was plugged up all the way to the tip of that crank vent "billow" up to the EGR in the hoses.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:45 PM
1st Gear

SHORT helpful answers...

1. you sound like you didnt tension the belt correctly! you dont put the slack in the middle. you put the belt on from the CRANK to the DRIVERS CAM pulley to the PASS CAM pulley to the "SLACK TAKER UPPER" ie the tensioner.
That is how it was done
see the pattern?

I could go into it.. but if you didnt use the CAM lock tools... I would find it hard to believe you got in DEAD on... unleass you carefully painted your belt... to the pulleys for marks. then i think you got it.
you are probably right it isn't dead on but i agree it should be in timing.
2. your cam seals didnt deteriorate... it is more likely that your CRANK SHAFT VENT is plugged up... is teh hoses that come from the back of the engine to your EGR and from the "plenum valley" between the heads and under the INTAKE.
it has been replace it is brand new. and the seal will deteriorate
I took mine aparte recently and it was plugged up all the way to the tip of that crank vent "billow" up to the EGR in the hoses.

i replace the entire system.

bmoore.

the tick isn't very loud and it is rythmic. I think it maybe the hydraulic lifters snapping since they haven't had oil in them for quite awhile. When cranking it by hand they snapped quite hard when removing the slack in the chain. i thought that this snap would go away once oil was running but maybe not.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:36 PM
1st Gear

I am glad you replaced the ENTIRE system.. I am assuming you replaced the ENTIRE system of HOSES? !!

DID you CLEAN out the COVER that is hidden under the INTAKE PLENUM?

where the New hose would have Connected ( but it is possibly plugged up inside)

PS.. to answer your TICK question...

I fear for your engine a little. If your hoses were plugged.. etc.. So you replaced them, its likely you have Sludge in your engine... If you engine looked anything like mine.. uhg... and you dislodge much of it... your OIL pick up screen may be plugged ( mine became that way)...

if So, i recommend changing your OIL to 5W20 and adding a washing agent... ( Sea FOAM)

hope some of this opinion based on my bad experiences... helps