B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Have Correct Bose Concert Sound System Security Code But No Way to Enter It

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 07:35 PM
1st Gear
Default Have Correct Bose Concert Sound System Security Code But No Way to Enter It

Hi all (sorry for the two posts but my last one was long enough as is). I'll try to get straight to the point: My stock radio is locked in SAFE mode after two or three failed security code entries. I have the correct code but was too lazy to reference the manual (while driving) to confirm the right code. I put in the wrong code twice and now I'm not even getting the chance to enter a code (-holding those two buttons down no longer does anything).

I've tried disconnecting the battery several times, for up to 12+ hours, but the radio (and engine codes for that matter) does *not* reset for some reason. Is there anyway I can get another chance at entering the correct security code without having to pay Audi $50-75 for resetting things??

Thx, in advance for any insights!

Old 12-07-2014, 08:18 PM
2nd Gear

You need to leave the radio turned on with the key in the on position for an hour, it's all in the manual that you should've read first.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:36 PM
4th Gear

Easy, killer There's a lot of info to sift through in the manual to find this nugget of goodness.

But he's right... go find a long windy road to drive on for over an hour with the radio on, then try again. Should fix your issue no problem (I've done it, it works)

Old 12-07-2014, 11:13 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
You need to leave the radio turned on with the key in the on position for an hour, it's all in the manual that you should've read first.
Problem has been going on for over a week now, and the deck has been left on for maybe 6-8 hours of driving time now - definitely over one hour consecutively, multiple times. The manual was consulted well before my post and yours and does not say much beyond having two attempts and then needing to consult Audi.

Unless you are suggesting that the car must be left with the ignition turned on but the engine *not* running for an hour or more, then everything stated in the manual has already been done. It was my understanding the deck simply needed to be on for an hour or more, which it has been, albeit while the car was being driven.

The manual states that you will have two attempts to put in the code. I did this but put in the wrong code because I was driving at the time and didn't want to open the glove box to check the manual where the code was written (I was confident I knew what the correct code was but was off a digit). It says that after two failed attempts you supposedly have to consult Audi according to the manual. I was hoping that all Audi would do was disconnect the battery to reset the deck, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:15 PM
1st Gear

I also searched the forum extensively before posting, but most of everything pertained to issues where the security code was unknown.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:24 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
Easy, killer There's a lot of info to sift through in the manual to find this nugget of goodness.

But he's right... go find a long windy road to drive on for over an hour with the radio on, then try again. Should fix your issue no problem (I've done it, it works)
lol. +1

Old 12-08-2014, 10:08 AM
2nd Gear

Huh weird, maybe you do need to have the engine not running. That's what I did when I had to reset mine. I apologize for being a bit of a dick in that case.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:18 PM
1st Gear

first, turn key on but not motor
second, hit the reset button to restart the "safe" timer on head unit
third, after an hour "1.5 is what i did" of sitting there being beautiful, safe mode should be off, punch in code

keep in mind of that 5amp fuse back there. or the radio fuse under the dash. ive contacted audi about this, got a junk yard unit and threw it in, needed new code. thats what they told me. worked.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:39 AM
4th Gear

It worked for me whilst driving...

Mad Cow, we all have our off days... haha

Old 12-09-2014, 09:23 AM
1st Gear

I left the car on (engine running) for an extra 45 mins after I got to work yesterday, and that did the trick. Must have been about 1.5 hours total or more.

Thanks, again for all the responses.

Quick Reply: Have Correct Bose Concert Sound System Security Code But No Way to Enter It