B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Has anyone had remote start installed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 05:42 PM
2nd Gear
Default Has anyone had remote start installed?

Im trying to find anyone that has actually had remote start installed by a pro or by themselves. Id like to do it myself but no one has said whether it is doable or not.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Default RE: Has anyone had remote start installed?

It sounds difficult. I have tried to look into it also but i would reccommend findin a shop or someone indeoendent to install it unless you feel like entering the world of german electronics.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:37 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

ya i was wondering how they could install a remote starter, and not lose the features of the switch blade key aka fob.

same question as this thread

https://www.audiforums.com/m_625819/tm.htm

Old 02-12-2008, 08:50 PM
1st Gear

mine has an aftermarket installed before i baught the car, it works good. i have installed them in the past, its not hard but at the same time if you know nothing about the wiring in you car its better left to ABC whare house. also because you have an Audi you realy cant go cheap because of the advanced wiring (about 10 wires)unlike a ford Toruas which has like 5 wires to splice into.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:07 PM
2nd Gear

I think it all depends on whether or not you have an immobilizer in your car. So 2002+?

Old 02-13-2008, 06:22 PM
1st Gear

Why? You don't need it and the engine gets oil 30 seconds after you crank her. Get an OEM coolant heater...then when you crank it you have full heat.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:23 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah, i was looking into this and my service manual doesnt have wiring schematics of the ignition which doesnt help (its a bentley dvd-not the greatest). Then some people say that different schematics say different things for wire colors. Secondly, my car is a manual and id hafta see if any place would do it cause i know you can put a switch on the parking brake or sign a waver.

Id like to try and do it myself but if i cant get a write up on it or some definate wiring schematics then i wont be able to.

On a side note when i had my knee panel off i also took of that panel thats on the corner there right where your left foot goes.... Like every wire in the car all meets there and theres about 25 connectors there lined up. I was hoping i could find out which one is which so that i could see if one of those connectors connects to the ignition so i wouldnt hafta pull the steering column apart and hafta mess around the airbag and stuff. However, i have yet to find any diagram that says which is which. (BTW i dont mean behind the knee panel itself, i know theres all of those big main fuses and relaysthere and stuff, im talking about right next to that spot for your left foot and that lower trim.) Ill probably make a new post to see if anyone knows anything about it.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:56 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Dallas09

Yeah, i was looking into this and my service manual doesnt have wiring schematics of the ignition which doesnt help (its a bentley dvd-not the greatest). Then some people say that different schematics say different things for wire colors. Secondly, my car is a manual and id hafta see if any place would do it cause i know you can put a switch on the parking brake or sign a waver.

Id like to try and do it myself but if i cant get a write up on it or some definate wiring schematics then i wont be able to.

On a side note when i had my knee panel off i also took of that panel thats on the corner there right where your left foot goes.... Like every wire in the car all meets there and theres about 25 connectors there lined up. I was hoping i could find out which one is which so that i could see if one of those connectors connects to the ignition so i wouldnt hafta pull the steering column apart and hafta mess around the airbag and stuff. However, i have yet to find any diagram that says which is which. (BTW i dont mean behind the knee panel itself, i know theres all of those big main fuses and relaysthere and stuff, im talking about right next to that spot for your left foot and that lower trim.) Ill probably make a new post to see if anyone knows anything about it.
that is one reason i like the haynes manual, the have awsome wiring diagrams

Old 02-13-2008, 10:01 PM

I was thinking about getting a remote starter, but I have a manual and I'd get no receipt and yada yada. The guy told me that if I leave my car in gear and try to start the car, it will start up and just go and wont stop until it hits something. He said that its dangerous because I can kill people. When he said that I laughed in his face, what a joke.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:48 PM
2nd Gear

Um, I don't get the joke. It's true that the car could start and in the right situation it could easily run someone over and kill them.

There are systems designed for manual transmission vehicles, but I've never installed one for any of my customers. Liability is too high. DEI just came out with a new one that I'm looking into. It's got a really nice remote and I'd probably go with the Clifford model.

In the old days we used to use a switch on the shifter, if it wasn't in the correct position (netural) it would not let the car start. Problem was the switch was not real reliable. Crimestopper use to have a system that required you to activate the remote starter before you shut the vehicle off, then you applied the parking brake and exited the car. After like 30 seconds the car would shut off and as long as the door wasn't opened it would allow the car to start the next time. I think they discontinued that one too because installers (mostly non-professional installers) would not hook it up correctly and there became a liability factor again.

As for the installation of a remoter starter in general, you need to activate the ignition and starter wires, monitor a tach signal so the starter doesn't crank too long, and hook up a brake wire for shut down and that's pretty much it. I always solder any heavy gauge wires (ignition switch wires mostly) to prevent failure. The most common mistake of even so-called professional installers is using Scotch Locks or T-taps. They can't safely carry thecurrent and are prone to failure.

The true technics to installing a remote starter are usually well beyond the average backyard mechanic or car audio installer. Throwa factory security system or immobilizer circuit into the mix and ypu're just asking for trouble. Pay a professional to do it correctly, and not aBest Buy or Circuit City either. Findan installer that is MECP.

Quick Reply: Has anyone had remote start installed?