B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Guess I got what i deserved//exjaust questions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 05:12 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Guess I got what i deserved//exjaust questions?

i don't know i'm goin down the wrong path with this anyways. if i'm looking for a little more power with not much more engine sound is high flow cat a place to start? or are there any cheaper but somewhat quiet high flow mufflers out there? if not, i'll just deal with it. fun enough for a daily driver.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:06 PM

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

1- how did the diam of the flex pipe change? then it wouldn't fit the rest of the exhaust...
2- pretty sure most of us giving feedback (at least me) have swapped the intake, tp, and exhaust before, so we're not talking bout what we THINK is true, but what we experienced

just replacing the flex pipe isn't really gona make the turbo louder, im still running the stock flex pipe with my techtonics exhaust and ecode tp and you can hear my turbo as clear as day
These two quotes above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^are exactlywhat I am talking about you sayinga different flex pipe is NOTgoing to make the turbo louder without knowing for sure.You THINK it won't.Chaos, You are speaking on pure opinion and have no proof to back it up. I can't prove it either but I am 100% sure that this hapenned to me for some reason or another. Also, the piece was smaller in diameter but they "blow" the flex pipe end up to fit the original exhaust diameter. What they do is heat the pipe up and make the end big enough to fit over the stock pipe to make welding easy. Therefore chaos you THINK you know what your talking about but you don't.

Remember, before you post anything be SURE you know what you are saying. People who read these forums make important and sometimes expensive decisions about their cars, based on what they read.Notice, when I said I got my flex pipe changed and it made my turbo louder, I never said it would work for everyone. I am explaning what I have experienced and people can take it as they want. So when Isee that yousomeone saysIt won't change the turbo's sound, I know they are speaking based on opinion rather than fact. You can read all you want about exhaust systems,turbo compressor and turbine variations, but no one is eversure how any mechanism will react to a change in it's surrouindings without testing. Just like people who don't beleive HP gains from a chip until they see DYNO results right?I dont want todowntalk anyone,I have aB.S. and almost a mastersin Mech. Engineering, as a lot of people on this forums probably do. I know what Imay not have the proper turbo and exhaustterminology, but I know testing and raw resultsare what matters.

P.S. I thinkTommyguns has a verygood hypothesis as to why the turbo might be louder on my car. I think he's right

Old 02-25-2008, 07:36 PM
5th Gear

mmmk...you wana be a dick about it. i'm game

ORIGINAL: Hernandez3011

1- how did the diam of the flex pipe change? then it wouldn't fit the rest of the exhaust...
2- pretty sure most of us giving feedback (at least me) have swapped the intake, tp, and exhaust before, so we're not talking bout what we THINK is true, but what we experienced

just replacing the flex pipe isn't really gona make the turbo louder, im still running the stock flex pipe with my techtonics exhaust and ecode tp and you can hear my turbo as clear as day
These two quotes above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^are exactlywhat I am talking about you sayinga different flex pipe is NOTgoing to make the turbo louder without knowing for sure.You THINK it won't.Chaos, You are speaking on pure opinion and have no proof to back it up. so let me get this straight, i've changed my exhaust and tp but i'm speaking on opinion? yeah i kept the stock flex cause getting a new one is pointless. an older pipe is gona sound any different than a newer one unless you change the composition or the diameter. I can't prove it either but I am 100% sure that this hapenned to me for some reason or another. Also, the piece was smaller in diameter but they "blow" the flex pipe end up to fit the original exhaust diameter. What they do is heat the pipe up and make the end big enough to fit over the stock pipe to make welding easy. Therefore chaos you THINK you know what your talking about but you don't. well since you failed to mention that part, how was i supposed to know? and what the hell does that even have to do about me knowing what im talking about? and technically they don't have to even heat it, a mandrel bender will have an attachment that can widen the tip of the piping to fit over the stock piece. never heard of someone going through all that trouble to widen a pipe by a fraction of an inch. and there's no welding in the entire 1.8T exhaust. the dp connects to the exaust here- http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pics/eng71_PICT0047.JPG but i digress...

Remember, before you post anything be SURE you know what you are saying. People who read these forums make important and sometimes expensive decisions about their cars, based on what they read.Notice, when I said I got my flex pipe changed and it made my turbo louder, I never said it would work for everyone.well considering your car is no different than thousands of others out there, it should work for everyone I am explaning what I have experienced and people can take it as they want. So when Isee that yousomeone saysIt won't change the turbo's sound, I know they are speaking based on opinion rather than fact.your a moron. so none of us have ever done this, just you? and just cause someone disagree's with you its opinion? only your word is fact? hahaha. didn't you just say the previous sentence that it wouldn't work for everyone, and now your contradicting yourself... You can read all you want about exhaust systems,turbo compressor and turbine variations, but no one is eversure how any mechanism will react to a change in it's surrouindings without testing. Just like people who don't beleive HP gains from a chip until they see DYNO results right?I dont want todowntalk anyone,I have aB.S. and almost a mastersin Mech. Engineering, so you don't want to talk down to anyone, and then the very next thing you talk about is your bachelors and "almost" masters in ME? LOL in as a lot of people on this forums probably do. I know what Imay not have the proper turbo and exhaustterminology, but I know testing and raw resultsare what matters. guess who's swapped their exhaust, intake, and tp and who hasn't? i know the effect each has on the sound of the turbo and engine because i've done them in the past. replacing the dp is barely changing anything at all. changing out the rest of the exhaust (dp back and cat) is changing the sound way more.

P.S. I thinkTommyguns has a verygood hypothesis as to why the turbo might be louder on my car. I think he's right
i don't. the sounds comes out the back of the exhaust(through the mufflers), not magically through the piping wall. and even if it did, the sound out the back would completely overshadow it. and we are talking about the sound of the turbo for christs sake, which is a lot quieter than the sound of the engine
the fact of the matter is the dp with the flex joint in it is a small portion of the whole exhaust. its simply the start of the cat-back exhaust system. based off what you are saying i could change the diam of the piping in between the res and the back muffler by a 1/4" and also magically hear the turbo louder.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:51 PM
1st Gear

I'm guessing that the quality of metal used by the muffler shop isn't to par with the metal from Audi. If the metal is an lesser quality and perhaps even thinner wall thinkness, together with a bottleneck effect from a smaller dia., then there is a good chance that the sound waves from the turbo escape the flex section more easily then the rest of the exhaust system. Yes, you do hear more engine noise out the tail pipe then turbo, but you are talking about to different sounds with too different frequencys.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:19 PM
5th Gear

still dont agree with that. your talking about a quiet sound, already muffled by the cat, possibly making it THROUGH some slightly thinner steel, and your ears picking up the slight difference over the noise of the engine. sure i believe ya

Old 02-25-2008, 09:30 PM
4th Gear

HAHAHAHAHAHA This is a funny thread.

"I'm Right"
"No I'm Right, I have a ALMOST Masters in ME!"
"Your a Moron"

HAHA

I love it.

Josh

Old 02-25-2008, 10:13 PM

I never once offended you Chaos,
What I mean by "almost" is that i am3 classes away from recieving a masters degree. (not bad for a 22 year old moronis it?)I find it funny you try to insult me because of the wording I used to describe my level of education.That as very mature.

Apparentlyyou arenot a very good reader. What you still have not understood.Is that you keep saying..."changingthe flex pipe will not change the sound of the turbo".When you have noproof whatsoeverof that statement being true.That is what I have been trying to clarify for my last2 posts. I never once said that changing exhaust, intake, etcWILL NOTimprove/increase the sound of the turbo. I agree it will. Get you're information straight and learn to read.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:28 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: Hernandez3011

I never once offended you Chaos, it was just the way you sounded. all that you THINK you know blah blah blah. talking down to people will get you nowhere

What I mean by "almost" is that i am3 classes away from recieving a masters degree. (not bad for a 22 year old moronis it?)nope, not bad at all. you must have spent a crapload of time studying and working. kinda makes perfect sense considering your attitude, you need to get laid. I find it funny you try to insult me because of the wording I used to describe my level of education.That as very mature. When people talk down to me, i find no reason to be mature with them, so shove your BS and "almost" masters up your ***

Apparentlyyou arenot a very good reader. What you still have not understood.Is that you keep saying..."changingthe flex pipe will not change the sound of the turbo".When you have noproof whatsoeverof that statement being true.That is what I have been trying to clarify for my last2 posts. I never once said that changing exhaust, intake, etcWILL NOTimprove/increase the sound of the turbo. I agree it will. Get you're information straight and learn to read.yes, cause i clearly can't read. and im over this argument, i've already stated why it won't make a difference, sure i dont have actual proof that changing one little pipe that's in between 2 muffling devices is gona make a difference, but if changing the entire cat-back exhaust, sans flex pipe, barely made my turbo louder, i really don't see how changing the flex is gona make a difference. the cat and intake make the biggest difference, even a swiss-cheesed airbox is nowhere near as loud as an open air filter. and since that was the OP's question, im trying to save him 250 on buying a dp that isn't gona really do anything. hell with that 250 he can get an intake AND tp AND still have money left over.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:52 PM

"you need to get laid.....shove it up your ***"

lol HAHAHA......Hilarious

Old 02-26-2008, 06:08 PM

this forum goes more downhill everyday because I moronic threads like this one[:'(] are you fvcking serious about saying a new flex pipe on your DP will make your turbo louder wow...

Quick Reply: Guess I got what i deserved//exjaust questions?