B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Guess I got what i deserved//exjaust questions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 12:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Guess I got what i deserved//exjaust questions?

99.5 a4 1.8t apr 93 octane

so i was the guy whining that my turbo isnt as loud as stock B6's, passats..etc even though i'm chipped and ....well have a swiss cheese k&n setup(better than nothing). what i forgot to mention is i was really talking about the sound of the turbo starting to spool up at low rpms on just a little throttle. when revved up the engine noise overpowers the sound mostly(this is how it is on the stock B6, passat, and my a6 2.7t). anyways, i dont have that noise.

so i was gettin on the highway and like any true atlanta native i was bringing it up to a merging speed of about 90 in 3rd gear when ...boom....a surge of power and the sound of a ricer from nowhere.
(the flange from the turbo to the cat broke)....guess i got what i deserved didnt i???

cause man that turbo was loud(duh).... Notes:
1. free flowing exhaust on these cars is no gimmick for those who question it. i was at about 5500 when it broke and she gained very noticeable power. (so the butt dyno confirms the real dyno).

2. it actually had the turbo sound i wanted....low rpm you can hear it start to spool on a little throttle....high rpm.engine sound beat it.(obviously, no exhaust). so i think the upgrade i want for turbo sound may be in exhaust.(and yes i'll work on intake too, if you read my earlier thread the question was why stock b6's, passats , with virtually same stock airbox have more turbo noise.(so i looked to exhaust....))

now i have the opinion, if you have less than 6 cylinders, keep the engine quiet.(although some 1.8t's i've heard sound surprisingly good). so whats a cheap free flowing exhaust i can put on and not have rice noise? i can weld if a cheap muffler/resonator helps.

and whats that metal braided 3 inch piece on the exhaust shortly after the cat??????? is it for the metal to expand........or is it part of whats making my (small) turbo quieter than i want it? someone said replacing the pipe from the cat to the resonator made the turbo whine much louder for some reason, im wondering if its because that metal braided piece was replaced. thanks

Old 02-25-2008, 12:22 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Guess I got what i deserved//exjaust questions?

The braided bit is called a flex pipe. It's there so that the engine can vibrate and move around without rattling your exhaust all over the place as well.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:30 PM
1st Gear

oh i'm retarded........i just looked at my other thread and what actually made his turbo louder was the flex pipe being replaced by some universal non oem flex pipe..........i wouldnt mind doing exactly that if someone knows specifically what flex pipe makes the turbo whine louder.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:38 PM
4th Gear

Are you sure it's the flex pipe??? That seems weird. If you replace your cat with a test pipe that would make it louder probably. Also if you put a cone filter on there with a nice heat shield you will hear it a lot better as well.

Josh

Old 02-25-2008, 12:40 PM
1st Gear

THIS IS WHAT THE OTHER GUY SAID IN MY OTHER THREAD

I had a 00passat and when I got the flex pipe replaced, the turbo bcame very loud. The same thing happenned 2 weeks ago when I got the flex pipe replaced on my 01 a4 TQM. The turbo became very loud. The spool sound is almost annoying now.(but i still like it) I think the sound is due to the flex pipe not being OEM because it was replaced at a regular muffler place. I looked at it and the new flex pipe is a little smaller in diameter than the orignal one. Do you guys think the smaller diameterflex pipe is more restrictive? I told the guy but he insists that it isn't, he has "been doing this for 35 years". What do you guys think? I personally thinkhe's a dumbass.

< Message edited by Hernandez3011 -- 2/18/2008 1:37:07 PM >

Old 02-25-2008, 12:43 PM
4th Gear

So he had only the flex pipe replaced and it was replaced with a smaller one??? That shouldn't make it any louder. Its just a straight pipe with a few ridges on it to allow it to flex. I am not sure how that would make it louder.

Anyone else have any ideas???

Josh

Old 02-25-2008, 02:47 PM
1st Gear

i guess its possible. like i said there is some difference between my car and b6's, passats where you can hear the turbo spool up at low rpms. i know its bigger but at low rpm's its not pushing much more air, and from what i can tell the airboxes are about the same.(and i'm swiss cheesed)........so the lower rpm turbo whine must be something in the B6 exhaust.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:13 PM
5th Gear

yeah i've run open tp a few times. the car sounds like a turbo diesel and is extremely loud. and you can hear the turbo spool perfectly.

replacing the cat with a tp will make the turbo louder. the rest of the exhaust doesn't have as much of an effect but you can still remove the res and swap the other muffler. but honestly you should get an open air filter first. its cheaper and you can make a custom intake very easily.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:36 PM
1st Gear

can't get away with the test pipe in atlanta. unless theres some real affective way to trick the computer. no one else knows about the flex pipe?

Old 02-25-2008, 03:38 PM
4th Gear

You can trick the computer using the spark plug non-fouler mod.

Josh

Quick Reply: Guess I got what i deserved//exjaust questions?