B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

GRRR! I'm so mad at myself right now....

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 03:09 AM
1st Gear
Default GRRR! I'm so mad at myself right now....

So today I was getting off work, and I was really tired (laying a block and shoveling concrete all day) and not thinking, and I stopped at this stop sign, and took off. Then when I shifted to 3nd my phone started ringing, so I looked and it was my mom calling, so I tried to multi-task and shift with my right hand while grabbing my phone with my left, steering with my right knee, and clutching with my left, and all of a sudden, when I thought I was shifting into 4th, my car almost jerked to a stop and made a hideous noise. S**T! I accidentally shifted into 2nd somehow. LATER SYNCHROS. So I was all butthurt about it and worried so when I got on the main highway I stuck it in 5th and did the floor it method, and sure enough my needle bounces about a half an rpm now. It used to not move at all. I'm pretty much hating myself right now. And yesterday I did the airbox mod, and all was good till today when I'm noticing a some werid bogging feeling when I give it gas when the temp is kinda cold. And it seems like I lost some HP? I don't have a boost gauge or anything, so I'm kinda regretting messing with something that ran perfectly good before hand. I'm hoping I'm not getting mass amounts of dust in the box (I live on a dirt road in the back woods that made of like real powdery dust.....). Any suggestions? Just buy a boost gauge and check for a boost leak? Or what... I'm kinda flat broke right now too, just for a little fyi.

PS-not a new topic, just brought back my old one and changed the title and message. Trying to save space...

Old 04-20-2008, 08:32 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: things that make you go hmmm...

1) normal

2)the audi clutch is like that, i've had my car for a year now and i'm still not really used to it. it engages realy high up. try not to dump the clutch. when you shift, sort of change gears while slowly letting the clutch go then let it go a tiny bit faster. you can' avoid clutch wear lol. you don't really need to rev up that high and then let the clutch out. just keep your left foot on the brakes, slowly let the clutch out auntill you feel a tiny bit of shaking and the rpms drop a little then slowly let go of the brakes while letting go of the clutch then gas it a bit. you'll get used to it eventually.

3)on either side of the bumper there is a hook assembly which the bumper hooks onto the chasis. it's a pretty good design but it shouldn't fall out again. the previous owner probably had work done and didn't put it back on correctly. i did that once on mine lol. i just did what you did and it's been on for like 8 months.

what car do you have? give use some specs and put it on your sig man

Old 04-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Yep, the shift linkage makes some noises when you shift. You'll notice it if you listen for it specifically. Even just put the window down and shift from reverse to first, and you'll hear the noises a bit with the shift linkage, and also as the gears engage (you don't even need the engine running).

Another idea on the hills to save wear on the clutch, is if you're stopped on a hill, hold the e-brake up and the button down (so it doesn't lock into place), and use that to hold the car while you let the clutch out and engage the gas. Once the clutch starts to grab, put the e-brake down and drive away. It'll take you a couple times to get the feel for it, but you could save a lot of wear on the clutch as, by holding the car on the brake like that, you won't have the slippage of trying to quickly engage the clutch at the higher RPM you were talking about.

For the bumper, Hiwords is right on. The clip design of the bumper on the sides is good enough that a lot of people end up getting angry trying to get it off. If it's popped in there now, chances are very slim that it'll come back out before you want it to.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:30 AM
2nd Gear

Just like he said:
1) Normal

2)I still think my clutch is slipping. Always have always will. Its just not a normal clutch for me with how late it engages. So for the rest of your audi life like me have fun thinking you clutch is slipping(Ughh i want the b6 s4 clutch in my car!!!!)

3)There are some clips and it depends on where its falling of, like hiwords said give some pictures.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:58 AM
Administrator

+1 on the late engagement. I thought there was something wrong with mine when I got it, and when the PO told me "that's just how Audis are" I didn't really believe him. Then I started reading up on it and talking to other owners and they all echoed the same thing. Just a fact of life. It doesn't bother me now, and I'm used to it, but it's tough driving another standard car, because I'm used to the Audi's feel and I almost stall other cars when I first go to take off. I have to recalibrate my left foot.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:26 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah--When i drive my friends TT350Z, or my girlfriends VW, Its crazy how different it is, And truthfully i like the audi clutch with the late engagment soooo much more.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:25 PM
1st Gear

My a4 is my first car, plus only stick I've driven. So the clutch feels normal to me, and I havent felt any others.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:07 AM
1st Gear

alright, thanks for the help guys. And I'll have some pictures up in one of these threads soon enough, along with my sig, but I'm waiting for my next paycheck so I can paint my stock wheels and drop it a bit with some springs until I can afford the whole coilover kit. Just so it looks a little less stock for the time being....