B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Grinding sound too loud to be tread wear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 04:20 PM
2nd Gear

Are there any upgrades for the rear control arms? Haven't found any yet, I'm guessing the reason being there wouldn't be much of a performance gain from them. Are the rear control arm bushings just as proned to wear as the front?

Can you think of anything else I should replace while I have everything taken apart? So far the list is: Springs/struts, complete front suspension kit (all 8 front control arms, tie rods, and bushings), all 4 wheel bearings, Big brake upgrade (front only), and rubberized undercoating to the wheel wells.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:32 PM
2nd Gear

Bump.

Also is there any way to silence the faulty bearing just long enough to pass a state required safety inspection?

Old 10-21-2009, 10:41 PM
3rd Gear

I'd say you have a pretty complete list as far as trying to tackle everything. I'm at a loss though to help diminish the sound its making to pass inspection though.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by a2thy
Bump.

Also is there any way to silence the faulty bearing just long enough to pass a state required safety inspection?
how are they going to find out the bearing is bad? if they drive the car around I've never heard of a road inspection for safety, at least not where I live..

Now, if they are going to find it by wiggling the wheel back and forth... well if your bearing is that shot that your wheel wobbles around, I wouldnt recommend driving on it man. just get it changed already

Old 10-24-2009, 02:55 AM
2nd Gear

Not sure whether or not the wheel wobbles, I'll have to try that.

I'm thinking about getting the complete front suspension kit from FPC Groton. Anyone have any experience with it? Does it come with all the bushings I should replace? Shouldn't I also replace all the rear bushings while I'm at it?

So how long do you think all of this will take a novice mechanic like myself to do alone?

Old 10-26-2009, 12:45 AM
2nd Gear

Bump.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:26 PM
2nd Gear

Bump.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:11 AM
2nd Gear

So no one has this kit? or knows how long it will take to install along with coilovers?

Old 10-29-2009, 07:57 PM
2nd Gear

Bump.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:54 PM
3rd Gear

if you are asking about how long it will take to install your new front suspension, I would say the better part of a weekend if you didn't rush and took your time. It all depends on how well everything comes apart and how well everything goes back together.

Are you doing the rear suspension as well? If you are doing both I would say the whole weekend, especially if you are by yourself. Just don't rush and let the car get you angry, because it just might. Take breaks as needed and try not to drink too much.

You can probably get the job done quicker than I have stated but like I said, it took me a friend a day and a half to get the entire front set-up (control arms (12pc), struts, springs, bearings, rotors and pads) and the rear (struts, springs, rotors and pads) finished. We definitely were not trying to set any records.

Quick Reply: Grinding sound too loud to be tread wear?