B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Got timing belt, waterpump, and radiator done...now the car leaks mad oil.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 07:58 AM
Default Got timing belt, waterpump, and radiator done...now the car leaks mad oil.

Back in early march I spent over $1200 to get my timing belt (w/ pulleys and tensioners), waterpump, and radiator replaced. Shortly after that I noticed two things. One, the check engine light was on right when I drove it off the lot of my mechanic. I went back for a diagnostic and it was the secondary air intake. After clearing up the signal and sending me on my way, it came on again like a week later. So ya they are replacing it, but he couldn't do it when I took it in cause he said he had to do research on it first...w/e

SECOND, the car leaks oil. I know cause I smell it hitting my exhaust when it runs down it. I really only noticed this after I got the whole job done with the timing belt, etc...

Yesterday, my cousin (who is a mechanic) popped up the hood and took a look. After removing the casings to the seals he noticed that every seal was leaking mad oil. He informed me that they probably messed those up putting it all back together, or, if they were that bad when they took the car apart then they absolutley should have notified me to replace those while they had the whole thing apart, rather then just "zipping it up" and leaving me with a HUGE a** job to pay for later on (since they have to take everything off now to fix it)

So, my cousin told me that I should tell them that I will pay for the seals, if they take care of the labor...is this legit? do I have reasonable grounds for this? How would I word this to them?

Thanks guys!!

Old 05-25-2008, 11:38 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Got timing belt, waterpump, and radiator done...now the car leaks mad oil.

What engine & year?

Most likely, the secondary air fault was a result of leaving something unplugged or detached if it occurred directly after that service.

What seals are you talking about? What casings?