B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Got some $$$ need good power upgrade ideas!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 09:11 PM
1st Gear

I'll check out those elim kits... As for the money im dealing with, about $5000-7500 CAD (Installed).
As for ease of install... I'm not too worried, this isnt something i can do myself im not experienced enough, and lack any tools required, i have a good shop that will do it for me whatever it is i end up getting done.

Also... I'll throw this into the mix. The car has 340 000 km on it. Should i replace pistons and gaskets before i do this or is that really necessary?

thoughts..?

Last edited by bryso21; 02-24-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:58 AM
4th Gear

Just do a compression test on the engine first, if it is good then you wont have to upgrade any of the engine parts.

That is enough for a full Elim kit with tuning/injectors and even get a FMIC if you dont have one already.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:03 AM
4th Gear

And a high flow exhaust manifold so you don't choke the new turbo...

Old 02-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
And a high flow exhaust manifold so you don't choke the new turbo...
The elims were designed to run off the stock flange. Thats kind of the point of them. If he was going to replace his mani, he might as well do a full size turbo IMO.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:08 PM
4th Gear

Yeah, they have higher flow manifolds that look just like the stock ones, which are much cheaper than the other ones, and you keep everything under the hood looking pretty stock (which is what I'm looking for, not sure about the OP though).

Old 02-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
Yeah, they have higher flow manifolds that look just like the stock ones, which are much cheaper than the other ones, and you keep everything under the hood looking pretty stock (which is what I'm looking for, not sure about the OP though).
yea i know that, but the flange is obv the same size, so there will be a bottle neck either way. I just never saw the point of putting a ton of extra money in to an elim when a regular BT wouldnt cost too much more. I mean i guess the incognito look is important to some people for inspection and whatnot. The only thing you really need on a BT setup over an elim is a manifold, you can even get an internal WG BT. I mean obviously you are going to want to build the car much more with a full size turbo, but at least you didnt spend all the money on the elim first to only go the BT route later. Just my opinion.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:32 PM
4th Gear

Yeah, I see your point with the whole upgrade more later idea (same think Mike told me when I first started looking into things).

Old 02-25-2010, 03:14 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs
yea i know that, but the flange is obv the same size, so there will be a bottle neck either way. I just never saw the point of putting a ton of extra money in to an elim when a regular BT wouldnt cost too much more. I mean i guess the incognito look is important to some people for inspection and whatnot. The only thing you really need on a BT setup over an elim is a manifold, you can even get an internal WG BT. I mean obviously you are going to want to build the car much more with a full size turbo, but at least you didnt spend all the money on the elim first to only go the BT route later. Just my opinion.

Oh so wrong. First off the Elim works with the stock down pipe, stock cat and stock air box. None of that is even possible with a aftermarket BT setup. So saying nothing more needs to be done to run a Full body BT setup is not right in anyway. Hell even the stock turbo inlet hose can be used on the elim, but that is going to be a restriction. Not to mention needing all new oil/coolant lines for a full BT setup.

Also the bottle neck on the elim setup is not the K03 flange, it is the runners. This is why people that port/polish their stock manifolds or go with the high flow manifolds end up getting some gains in peak hp since it then allows for more flow. Yes it might not flow as much as a T25 flange manifold but then a T25 doesn't flow anything like a T3. Tube manifolds flow more then a Log because of the design.

Yes if the person might want to upgrade to more power down the road the Elim is not the setup to go with, but that pretty much means throwing plenty of money into the motor to make it strong enough to handle that power.

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 02-25-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by Mike-2ptzero
Oh so wrong. First off the Elim works with the stock down pipe, stock cat and stock air box. None of that is even possible with a aftermarket BT setup. So saying nothing more needs to be done to run a Full body BT setup is not right in anyway. Hell even the stock turbo inlet hose can be used on the elim, but that is going to be a restriction. Not to mention needing all new oil/coolant lines for a full BT setup.
Agreed, but who out there is running an elim on a stock cat and downpipe?(maybe some are but seems pointless to me). Almost everyone has a TP or a HFC and catback exhaust before they do an elim. Now if they spent the money from the TP or HFC on a v-band flanged DP/racecat, then its only a lil more spent in the grand scheme of things. As for the airbox, many delete it anyway, and to run a BT you need some piping and a brain filter, big deal. Using the stock TIP is doable but completely counter productive IMO. And you dont need coolant lines with a journal bearing turbo ...

the bottle neck on the elim setup is not the K03 flange, it is the runners. This is why people that port/polish their stock manifolds or go with the high flow manifolds end up getting some gains in peak hp since it then allows for more flow. Yes it might not flow as much as a T25 flange manifold but then a T25 doesn't flow anything like a T3. Tube manifolds flow more then a Log because of the design.
Didnt know the runners were the downfall, thought the flange would restrict worse since its the size of a quarter lol.
if the person might want to upgrade to more power down the road the Elim is not the setup to go with, but that pretty much means throwing plenty of money into the motor to make it strong enough to handle that power.
A full size turbo setup can be run without doing internals to the block, although to maximize power obv its better. But if the person wants to go BT and doesnt want to take the step of running the elim, and spending all that money just to replace it all later, they can get everything they need for the full size setup and do internals later. Also a journal bearing turbo would be ideal for someone with no plans of doing internals as they give a more even boost curve and dont slam on like DBB's.

So IMO, the elim is good for someone who just wants high 200's awhp and thats it. But if they have plans of going bigger, or they get bored of getting beat by mildly modded sti's and evo's, then the elim is a pointless step.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:15 PM
4th Gear

B5 A4- <$5000, about 4G for Elim and some supporting mods, total: less than $10G

New STI or Evo? 25- 30G

I'd let them keep beating me, they obviously have much deeper pockets than I...

Quick Reply: Got some $$$ need good power upgrade ideas!!!