B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Got my Audi Secret Santa gift today!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:48 PM
2nd Gear

Universal joint FTW! lol those 10 mm just succumbed to my awesome toolbox! Now i'm stuck on the allen bolts in the linkage connectors. gonna go have to get some allen head sockets. Also, I've lost quite an amount of blood to the short shifter. lol

Old 01-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by kayakman13
Universal joint FTW! lol those 10 mm just succumbed to my awesome toolbox! Now i'm stuck on the allen bolts in the linkage connectors. gonna go have to get some allen head sockets. Also, I've lost quite an amount of blood to the short shifter. lol
Wait till your heater core goes, you'll lose at least a liter of blood then..

Old 01-11-2011, 09:12 PM
3rd Gear

lol good job. hope you think it's worth it also

Old 01-12-2011, 12:06 AM
2nd Gear

Alright shifter out.

SUCK IT!

Two problems though, the C clips for the rail bushings wont go on. The grooves in the nylon bushings wont come out past the metal sleeve. its so close though.

Next, the polymer inserts for the aluminum bottom part are too big to go into the connection holes. Should I enlarge the holes?

Old 01-12-2011, 12:12 AM
2nd Gear

Oh, and how important is it that the push down reverse **** is lined up vertically with the stick?

Old 01-12-2011, 12:19 AM
3rd Gear

not completely understanding what all you're talking about. I didn't use the rail bushings on mine. they were too hard to get them to stay put but if you can get them to work, it'll probably be nicer. the pin has to be lined up for the push down reverse to work. I had to take a dremel to loosen up the slit for the pin to fit in it .... or you could just use no push down reverse

Old 01-12-2011, 12:40 AM
2nd Gear

I used a hammer and some grease. But its not vertically lined up, its a little off. I think I'll throw it in a vice grip and straighten it out.

The bushings utilize a groove and a C clip that snaps into the groove. But the groove doesn't poke out far enough.

Finally, the polymer bushings that go between the bolt attatching the anodized blue aluminum linkage to the stick/shaft dont fit. Its obviously bigger though and i dont know if I should file/dremel the aluminum holes larger or what. If I attatch it without the polymer inserts there's quite a bit of play.

Ugh, i'm so close!

Also, what level of reduction do you recommend? Is there any downside to going 35%?

Old 01-12-2011, 12:46 AM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Get some pliers and squeeze the polymer inserts to get them all the way in. Its a two person job.

Do use that plastic bushing! It helps to have a vice to get them in, if not get a bigger hammer (but cushion it.)

Go straight to the lowest hole. I went to the middle and then took the whole thing out again to drop it to the lowest hole. Do it.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:49 AM
3rd Gear

the bushings that go through the blue piece fit. they don't look like they will but they should. might need to use a vice or something. I still don't remember everything about the install but I just followed the b&m instructions. not everything went so smoothly but everything worked. I have mine set for the most reduction and I would recommend doing the same

Old 01-12-2011, 12:49 AM
2nd Gear

Lol, lowest hole it is. I'll go grab a pair of pliers and try to squeeze the inserts in. Another question, they have a lip if you remember, on one side. Kinda like this crude text/drawing:

|=

Does that lip go on the inside of the "prongs" or the outside?

Quick Reply: Got my Audi Secret Santa gift today!