B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Got my Audi Secret Santa gift today!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 05:39 PM
2nd Gear
Default Got my Audi Secret Santa gift today!

ITS AN EBAY SHORT SHIFTER!!! Yayyy!! Haha thanks to whoever that was, it made my week!

But I have found a problem... I have a prefacelift A4. After struggling to remove some 10mm nuts for an hour, I have decided that I really do need to remove the center console. Unless someone has done it before without removing it!

Also, while removing the B&M instructions I noticed I need a plastic rivet. The SS I received didn't have one. Do I reuse one from the stock bits, or is it not vital?

Anyway, some guidance to console removal if thats necessary would be really appreciated. Found some write ups, but I can't determine if I have to remove the radio (with radio keys) or if the whole center console will remove with the radio and controls in place (just unplug from the back.)

Again, thanks to my A.S.S. I really appreciated it!

Old 01-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Site Moderator

To remove the entire center console you need to take out the radio, a/c control head, ash tray and the center arm rest so you can get to all the bolts on the center console. Its really not that hard once you get all that out of the way.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Administrator

I installed the SS in my '97 without removing the center console. It was a pain in the ***, but definitely easier than taking the whole interior apart IMO.

BTW, my secret santa gift arrived shortly after Christmas from Oregon

Old 01-11-2011, 06:07 PM
3rd Gear

^x2 I didn't remove the center console either time but the two nuts in the back are very annoying to get at. so worth it though. makes the car feel a lot nicer

Old 01-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Site Moderator

The center console only takes about 30 minutes to take out, its easier to just remove it than the fiddle **** with it.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:13 PM
2nd Gear

So what did you do CCA4? I'm struggling with the 4 10mm nuts. Those suckers are way under the lip of the console. I can get the fronts loose, which is all they need I read, but the backs I cant get. I can't get the ratchet on them because it wont seat all the way and it strips and the wrench can reach them because their set down a bit. I suppose if i had a small enough ratchet to sneak into there.

Can I remove the shifter assembly before said bolts?

http://www.bmracing.com/bmracing/ins...ruction/25.pdf

i'm on step 8

Old 01-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Installing the SS with the console removed is a lot easier and you'll be glad you did it. I can get the center console disassembled in about fifteen minutes now.

It gives you a good opportunity to clean the console too and collect some loose change.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:29 PM
2nd Gear

So I can either spend some time, blood and get really angry and get the SS in with the console in place, or I can buy some radio removal tools, pull out the whole center console, get cold and install it easier... hmm lol.

I think i'll keep trying with console in place, any recommendations for those rear nuts? If I could remove the shifter it'd be easier to get to them.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Administrator

i used a ratchet with a short socket to get at the back two, didn't take all that long. I do have girlie hands though

Old 01-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

This article walks you through removing the console.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int.html

Quick Reply: Got my Audi Secret Santa gift today!