B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Good upgrades for b5s?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 04:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Good upgrades for b5s?

I have a 2000 a4 1.8t. I love it, ive had it for almost a year with no problems at all.

I havnt put it any upgrades yet i dont really know where to start so i joined the site to see what other people have done to their a4.

My clutch is starting to go so i figure as long as im getting a new one ill get a good one, racing or stage 2 or something any good suggestions? i plan on doing all the work myself i just need parts.

With a better clutch im definetly gunna want to do some engine upgrades. i dont have dough for a new turbo so if there are cheap turbo mods that can be done thatd be cool. Ive heard cold air intakes are tricky with b5 cuz of the spacing. and im probably going to get a chip too.

So let me know what youve done with yours! if you guys can help me out, give me some ideas, or direct me to some good threads thatd be awesome!

Old 01-31-2013, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jay.duncs
I have a 2000 a4 1.8t. I love it, ive had it for almost a year with no problems at all.

I havnt put it any upgrades yet i dont really know where to start so i joined the site to see what other people have done to their a4.

My clutch is starting to go so i figure as long as im getting a new one ill get a good one, racing or stage 2 or something any good suggestions? i plan on doing all the work myself i just need parts.

With a better clutch im definetly gunna want to do some engine upgrades. i dont have dough for a new turbo so if there are cheap turbo mods that can be done thatd be cool. Ive heard cold air intakes are tricky with b5 cuz of the spacing. and im probably going to get a chip too.

So let me know what youve done with yours! if you guys can help me out, give me some ideas, or direct me to some good threads thatd be awesome!
I don't personally have a 1.8T. Only a 2.8 However, if you're looking for a few mods to help get some more HP would be a new DV, ECU Chip, FMIC, and maybe an exhaust would be some good places to start. I'm sure there are some other things you can do as well. IMO, cold air intakes are silly and make no difference in power. The stock airbox works well enough as it is. Here's a video proving what I said about cold air intakes

Old 01-31-2013, 04:49 PM
1st Gear

AudiDeficitDisorder's pretty much summed it up. Although with the fmic, you will prob have to re tune it after to compensate for the higher airflow. Chips generally make the tune with the stock intercooler, unless you find a tune which tunes for a fmic, go for it
This is situation I'm at, I require some more tuning, my car feels slower after a fmic. (stock turbo)

Old 01-31-2013, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by george1546
Although with the fmic, you will prob have to re tune it after to compensate for the higher airflow. Chips generally make the tune with the stock intercooler, unless you find a tune which tunes for a fmic, go for it
I'm gonna disagree here... because the FMIC doesn't add airflow. Roughly the same amount of air will enter the engine whether it goes through the stock SMIC or a FMIC. Even if injector pulse width increases due to cooler intake air (and I've never hear of this before) there should still be enough injector headroom with a stock or chipped tune.

The FMIC generally does 2 things:
1) Increases cooling capacity, to lower IAT. This will allow the ECU to compensate with timing and thus the engine can deliver more power.

2) Increases volume for pressurized air to occupy. This will manifest itself as an increase in turbo lag, as the turbo has to fill a larger volume and needs more time to do so.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Give this a read. Specifically the parts about tuning companies and 1.8T upgrade info

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-...%2A%2A-109459/

Old 02-01-2013, 11:33 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
I'm gonna disagree here... because the FMIC doesn't add airflow. Roughly the same amount of air will enter the engine whether it goes through the stock SMIC or a FMIC. Even if injector pulse width increases due to cooler intake air (and I've never hear of this before) there should still be enough injector headroom with a stock or chipped tune.

The FMIC generally does 2 things:
1) Increases cooling capacity, to lower IAT. This will allow the ECU to compensate with timing and thus the engine can deliver more power.

2) Increases volume for pressurized air to occupy. This will manifest itself as an increase in turbo lag, as the turbo has to fill a larger volume and needs more time to do so.

Exactly.

George, I'm not trying to be a dick but you have to stop posting that because it is not true. That's how misinformation starts to get spread around.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

Thanks guys youve given me some good ideas, i just need to figure out what kind of clutch i want :P

Old 02-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jay.duncs
Thanks guys youve given me some good ideas, i just need to figure out what kind of clutch i want :P
What are your power goals? The ECS RA4 upgrade is popular for mild upgrades, heard lots of great things about it.

Anything more than a stage 2 chip or a K04 and I would recommend going with a company like Clutchmasters or South Bend. I daily drive my CM FX300 (on a stage one stock turbo, albeit) and I couldn't be happier with it. For that, give Mike Hood at Ringer-Racing a call.