B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

The good old engine tick / noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 10:05 PM
1st Gear
Default The good old engine tick / noise

So I apologize for the length of the post ahead of time. After spending endless hours reading around the forums I figured the best thing to give is give you all the details so I can get the best advice.

I bought a '01 A4, quattro 1.8T last week with 135K on it. We knew when we bought it that it had a problem with the coolant / TStat. Replaced the TStat, flushed the coolant and got the car up to temp.

Now that it is running at the right temp I'm getting the dreaded engine click / tick / whatever you want to call it the makes the car around more like a TDI that a 1.8T. It is the same noise that everyone suggests results from either sludge or a bad cam tensioner seal.

I've done and oil change (M1 0W40) and filter (K&N). Didn't make any difference. Had the oil screen and inlet tube replaced (about %30 blockage) still no improvement. My mechanic is checking the cam tensioner first thing in the morning. Not too hopeful at this point.

The noise is only evident once the oil is up to temp; as opposed to engine temp which gets up there a little sooner; and at low RPMs. When I rev it up the noise goes away at about 1800 RPMs. When I'm driving it gets embarrassingly loud at idle. (note: no oil pressure light on and CEL code is showing bad O2 / CAT)

After reading all over the place the only thing I can think of is that the engine is still all sludged up inside and and that is still causing it. I've had a buddy who is a mechanic say it sounds like lifters. The mechanic that has it right now want to pull the engine apart for $600 tomorrow to look for damage if the cam tensioner replace doesn't solve it.

I figured I'd ask on here before going any further and see what you all think. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm beginning to loose the excitement of owning my first Audi with all the problems. Thanks!

Old 11-30-2009, 10:28 PM
4th Gear

well... u could always try seafoam lol

Old 11-30-2009, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Before you go spending hundreds of dollars, get your car and do a seafoam treatment (search explains it). See if that helps. Try it twice in a row even.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:43 PM
3rd Gear

you know i strongly believe in this stuff oil additive called slick 50 but do it after the seafoam my engine was ticking havent heard anything since the slick 50 and seafoam has been in my car

Old 11-30-2009, 10:54 PM
1st Gear

I've seen the the posts on Seafoam and was thinking that would be good option. Any thoughts regarding Seafoam vs AutoRX?

Old 11-30-2009, 11:01 PM
3rd Gear

use seafoam audi says to do it every 10,000 miles and when i did it my car was smoking! my engine had a big differnce specialy in gas milliage

Old 12-01-2009, 08:42 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by PastorBruin
I've seen the the posts on Seafoam and was thinking that would be good option. Any thoughts regarding Seafoam vs AutoRX?
Seafoam is sort of a "shock" treatment in that it is supposed to work quickly and not stay in your oil long. AutoRX is supposed to work over the course of two oil change intervals. I've used AutoRX but I didn't do a UOA so I don't know if it helped much. Bobistheoilguy's forum-goers generally like it, though.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:03 AM
4th Gear

Seafoam for sure. I did mine recently and was very well pleased with the results. But, as mentioned above, you'll need to change the oil again shortly thereafter. Do the two can method, with a can in the gas, half in the crank, half in the intake. Very very easy and inexpensive. Definately worth trying before shelling out a few hundred bucks...

Old 12-01-2009, 01:48 PM

It almost sounds to me like you need a valve adjustment. But then again it would be more severe when the oil was cold. Ya I am probably wrong now that I think about it. I will shut up now

Old 12-01-2009, 04:45 PM
4th Gear

^Hahaha! Way to scare the guy...

Quick Reply: The good old engine tick / noise