B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Ghetto Straight Downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 02:56 PM
2nd Gear
Default Ghetto Straight Downpipe

Hey fellow junkies. I got bored one day and I wanted to mess with the whip. I've been dreaming of a nice Techtonics exhaust for awhile and I decided the only thing for my broke *** to do was disconnect the downpipe from the exhaust. As promised, here are some sights and sounds.

First things first: raise that bitch up. I was planning on removing the whole exhuast but gave up. You'll only need to raise the front a little bit, and if you're small you wont even need that.

Name:  0321.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  98.7 KB

There's a sleeve that holds the DP to the rest of the piping. Unbolt it and secure it out of the way or remove the exhaust. (I was lazy.)

Name:  0322.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  94.5 KB

Name:  0324.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  89.9 KB

Then go **** off your neighbors!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDfmtwVz12I

You can hear us from quite a ways away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkMJC_P0-e8

Interior
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV85omDD4Cw

For those of you who are worried about the hazards of this like I was, here is what I found out.

Backpressure is created by turbocharger. Don't worry about burnt valves.
Lack of backpressure on turbine creates a loss of low end torque, so shift high

Its LOUD LOUD LOUD but the sound "dissappears" at idle. Shift into neutral to activate stealth mode when passing the fuzz.

Backfiring may be a bit of an issue here. I had no trouble. Someone told me the catalytic converter kept the flames away but I dunno. Even the ehaust heat had no effect on my undercoating.

I felt a noticable power gain. The car had some more oomph and was fun to drive. Just be prepared to get stares from everyone. I reversed it because one: I was eventually going to get a ticket and two: it was too loud. I didn't like all that attention.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Administrator

lol that flex pipe is STRUGGLIN'

sounds kinda cool, but too loud for me

Last edited by CCA4; 08-28-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:42 PM
4th Gear

well i have the 2.8... so some how i dont think its gonna be that quiet hahaha

Old 09-21-2009, 05:43 PM
1st Gear

I have done the same thing on my 2.8, but i ended up putting it back on as it WAS to loud! The main reason i knew it was too loud was because my neighbours called to inform me that they know whenever i leave the house. Because the 2.8 does not have turbo (obviously) can the lost back pressure damage the valves? if so, how?

Old 09-21-2009, 06:18 PM
4th Gear

My flex pipe is what broke when I hit a pothole avoid a woman on her cell phone (damn female drivers). I drove around for about 2 weeks like that until I was able to get the NeuSpeed cat back. Trust me, I know how loud it is! And I also used "stealth mode" whenever I passed a cop. The highway was crazy loud!

Old 09-21-2009, 06:44 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah, I got on a highway without a light or on ramp and god that was bad. Not only was acceleration difficult from a lack of torque, but it was shaking the windows loud.

I'm hoping my flex pipe holds till I can afford a borla...

Old 09-21-2009, 10:00 PM
5th Gear

almost got a subi sound from the interior lol. didn't sound like you revved it very high at all though. i demand a 6k rev video with a launch

Old 09-21-2009, 10:07 PM
4th Gear

i did the same thing with my car once. except i took it full throttle to about 80mph. its beast. if my car was running i would do it agian, the exhaust if off at the flex as well.. ill probly do it when i order my 3" DP and 3" cat :P

Old 09-22-2009, 12:48 AM
2nd Gear

I raced a jeep a few weeks ago and the car was straight downpipe. It was infront of my work (albertson's) and we got QUITE a few looks lol. It got very very very very very loud and poppy. So much fun. I'd drive into school and accelerating just a tad would set off a car alarm everytime.

and Hiwords, if we're demanding things, I demand a stage IV clutch and a turn down adapter first.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:12 AM
5th Gear

well i'm not demanding anything materialistic lol

Quick Reply: Ghetto Straight Downpipe