B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 09:07 AM
1st Gear
Default Gasket

Anyone know where I can buy a gasket for my catalytic converter? I checked NAPA and O'Reilly's but to no avail. Also, how much do they normally cost and how crucial is it for them to be replaced when installing a new cat?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:20 AM
3rd Gear

the audi dealer will carry them, probably going to cost 5-10 bucks each. ECStuning.com or purems.com have them as well, for about 5 each.

you cannot install a new cat without replacing these gaskets and expect not to have an exhaust leak. the gaskets are usually destroyed in the process of getting the cat out. im about to go outside and gut my cat as we speak. its 95 degrees. this should be fun.

ps. i picked up some extra bolts (actually all of em) 3 each- turbo to cat bolts and nuts. 3 each- cat to downpipe nuts and studs. im sure some or all of them will be broken in the process, im just going to replace them all. the ones that are on there are rusted to ****, i hit them with PB blaster last night though.

Last edited by ghost6303; 08-22-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:06 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ghost6303
the audi dealer will carry them, probably going to cost 5-10 bucks each. ECStuning.com or purems.com have them as well, for about 5 each.

you cannot install a new cat without replacing these gaskets and expect not to have an exhaust leak. the gaskets are usually destroyed in the process of getting the cat out. im about to go outside and gut my cat as we speak. its 95 degrees. this should be fun.

ps. i picked up some extra bolts (actually all of em) 3 each- turbo to cat bolts and nuts. 3 each- cat to downpipe nuts and studs. im sure some or all of them will be broken in the process, im just going to replace them all. the ones that are on there are rusted to ****, i hit them with PB blaster last night though.
Haha. The Northeast is finally getting their summer I see. Where'd you get the nuts and bolts? Good luck with the gutting. And thanks for the info. Bring some gatorade!

Old 08-23-2009, 02:16 AM
3rd Gear

i got the hardware from ecs i think a while ago. i was placing an order anyways and just tacked on 3 new bolts and 3 new copper lock nuts. otherwise i would have just gone to the dealer and picked them up there, they arent terribly expensive.

i drank about a gallon of water during the job, it sure was a great day to lay on my asphalt driveway and do this lol. the damn hacks that installed my exhaust 2 years ago used a torch to get the original bolts off and melted part of the cat>downpipe flanges so that made life difficult.

other then that it was easy. car gets full boost by 2500rpms now. about 300 sooner. the catalyst was melted into a ball, its a good thing i finally did this.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:27 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ghost6303
i got the hardware from ecs i think a while ago. i was placing an order anyways and just tacked on 3 new bolts and 3 new copper lock nuts. otherwise i would have just gone to the dealer and picked them up there, they arent terribly expensive.

i drank about a gallon of water during the job, it sure was a great day to lay on my asphalt driveway and do this lol. the damn hacks that installed my exhaust 2 years ago used a torch to get the original bolts off and melted part of the cat>downpipe flanges so that made life difficult.

other then that it was easy. car gets full boost by 2500rpms now. about 300 sooner. the catalyst was melted into a ball, its a good thing i finally did this.
Sounds good! It's amazing how a clogged up cat can make you forget your vehicle's actual potential. I couldn't imagine having to deal with partially melted flanges.

I just finished installing my hfc...I hope to never again touch that thing. Very long day in the heat and then it downpoured for about 20 mins. Next...Troubleshooting this misfire.