B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Garrett AirResearch Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 06:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Garrett AirResearch Turbo?

Hey I'm looking at a turbo for sale the guy wants 100 bucks for it, says there is no shaft play in and out but minimal side to side? I heard a little play was normal on used turbos but i wanted some advice. Also i asked the guy what a/r it is and he said 50 with dual finned intake wheel, is this much related to the size of the turbo or is the trim more important, he hasn't told me how big the hotside is yet. How big will this be compared to the stock k03 thanks for the advice guys

Old 10-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Tech Slut

Sounds like a t3/t04, but not necessarily. If its a 50 trim then there's a gigantic difference between that and a k03. A lil shaft play is normal, but very little. You need to find out if its a real garrett and not a knockoff, what manifold its flanged for, what hotside is on it, if its internal wastegated, what chra it has, and if your ready to do a very expensive build lol.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

Yah its a t3 with an internal wastegate i dont think its garrett but it has air research stamped on the coldside housing and i thought they are like a joint company could be wrong so correct me. Still dont know how big the hotside is and what do you mean chra? why such an expensive build?

Old 10-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Tech Slut

Garrett is AiResearch. so if the compressor housing is stamped with it then its either a Garrett or a knockoff. CHRA is the center cartridge, if it has 2 ports, then its journal bearing/oil cooled. If its also got coolant ports than its most likely ball bearing.
It will be expensive because you need a whole hell of alot of other **** to run that turbo. It's not like an elim setup.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:06 PM
1st Gear

It is oil cooled so journal bearing correct? and how much hp could this turbo push?

Old 10-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by a4nick
It is oil cooled so journal bearing correct? and how much hp could this turbo push?
Journal bearing...
The details are necessary to even give a good estimate of the power potential, but I'll guess mid 300's awhp or less.
Look around at some of the other threads on here and elsewhere... It seems topics come in groups. There have been alot of 50trim threads recently.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:20 PM
1st Gear

alright i have a bit of a question for you, since the coldside is 50 a/r according to the guy does that mean it is a 50 trim turbo? i was under the impression trim was rated by the relation between the exducer and inducers ratios for both the compressor wheel and the turbine wheel ive been wondering this for quite some time and would appreciate the help thanks in advance

Old 10-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Tech Slut

oh, its a 50 a/r? thats very different. Most t3/t04's have a .60a/r compressor housing. Trim is determined by the inducer and exducer size, not compressor and turbine. So basically how much of a cone shape the compressor wheel has. Get the full details on the turbo and post back. Pics would be cool too.
Start looking into what kind of a build you want to do and go from there. If this turbo fits that bill, then $100 is pretty good. But I'm leaning toward you not using this turbo anyway. You dont know what the turbine inlet is flanged for?

Old 10-10-2010, 10:59 PM
1st Gear

this is a different turbo i found its t3 flanged and still a a/r 50. So technically doesn't the a/r really have no relation to the actual size of the turbo? wouldn't you want to go by trim size?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/1986908998.html

Old 10-11-2010, 01:04 PM
4th Gear

A/R has to do with how quickly the air is moved away/toward the center of the housing.

Quick Reply: Garrett AirResearch Turbo?